Joel Villasenor-ruiz

None

Cinema Purgatorio

I N THE SPRING OF 1992, I saw the film "Cinema Paradiso" for the very first time. It made working

None

Paradise Chez Perez

directed by Mira Nair starring Marisa Tomei, Alfred Molina and Anjelica Huston Samuel Goldwyn Pictures D irected by Mira Nair

None

Lemmon Heats Up ARTS FIRST

Some Like It Hot directed by Billy Wilder starring Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe April 29 at 7pm

None

Entranced by the Beat

A sampler of post-rave tracks takes the Trance pulse on both sides of the Atlantic Pomme Fritz The Orb Island

None

Alea's Tropical, Topical 'Strawberry' Dips Into Castro Critique

FILM Strawberry and Chocolate directed by Tomas Gutierrez Alea at the Sony Janus Theatre starring Jorge Perugorria, Vladimir Cruz and

None

Campion's 'Piano' Plays at the Brattle

A piano stands alone on an empty swath of New Zealand beach while behind it a towering wall of sea

None

`Sex Is...' Appealing

Sex Is... directed by Marc Huestis at the Coolidge Corner open-ended run "Sex Is...," director Marc Huestis' unabashed documentary on

None

Play It Again, Jane.

"The Piano" directed by Jane Campion Miramax Films A piano stands alone on an empty swath of New Zealand beach

None

`Rashomon' Is Truly Classic, Even If Truth Is Unknowable

Rashomon directed by Akira Kurosawa at the Harvard Film Archives on December 8 In 1951, an extraordinary event occurred at

None

Assured, Meditative Pilgrims Shows New Voyages of Discovery

Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Alfred A. Knopf $21 At first it seems rather surprising that a translator as

None

All the World's a Magical Stage

I n a small Latin American village by the ocean, sea-crabs haunt a poor man in his sleep. The man,

None

Of Mambo and Magical Realism

In 1990, at the age of 38, Oscar Hijuelos became the first Hispanic American to win the Pulitzer Prize for

None

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait for 'A Tale of Springtime'

The films of Eric Rohmer are an acquired taste. Rohmer, who belonged to the French New Wave of the fifties,

None

Jean Cocteau's Fuzzy Valentine

When Walt Disney released its animated version of "Beauty and the Beast" in 1991, the moviegoing public was enchanted. The

None

Dicing Up Hollywood With Robert Altman

Robert Altman's The Player has the razorsharp quality of a grudge long nursed by lucid bitterness. Adapted by Michael Tolkin

Echelman string sculpture
Visual Arts

Painting the Town: Boston's Big Art

Boxes
Columns

ISIL is Not the End of the World

Difficulty Defining
Columns

The Difficulty of Defining Difficulty

Reshuffling the Caseload
College

Unloading the Ad Board