After The Common App

After The Common App

Whether you you finished your Common App weeks in advance or just barely made it at 11:59 p.m., you did it. You’ve completed your college applications. However, the new year doesn’t mean you can relax just yet. There are still many things you have to take care of before you can free yourself from the race.

Checking over your application

Even after you submit your application, it never hurts to recheck everything you sent, especially if you sent it out at the last minute. Through rechecking the application, you may find a major mistake in either your application or a supplement. The sooner you notify your colleges about this error, the faster they can take it into account.

Preparing your financial aid documents

In most cases, you don’t have to submit financial information to your colleges on January 1, but it’s never too early to start organizing all the necessary documents in order to fill out the applications. You should check what applications your prospective colleges require, like the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the CSS Profile.

When you find out what’s required for completing these financial aid applications, gather everything needed so filling out the information will be easy and quick. If financial aid is a necessary component in your college choice, you don’t want your financial aid package to be delayed due to the fact you submitted your applications late.

Searching for scholarships

Now that you’re free from doing essays, you can spend time searching for scholarships. There are many scholarships that you can find online that cater to many characteristics you may have. You can find scholarships for your race, state, or socioeconomic status.. With enough searching, you can apply for the scholarships that work for you. Some may require essays while others are a simple form.

Preparing for interviews

Many colleges require you to go meet with someone as a part of the application process. It could be an alumni or a college admissions officer. Take the time now to set up your interviews, making sure to schedule them so you don’t have any conflicting situations. Before you even go on your first interview, you should try to have a mock session with someone you trust. By having a teacher, counselor or even a friend pretend to be your interviewer, you can practice and know what to work on. It helps you to be prepared and build your confidence so you don’t start fumbling during the real interviews.

Admissions