BON VOYAGE

What will 4 University Hall be without Dean Greenough? Already the question is on a thousand lips. He has so entrenched himself in the esteem and affections of the students that they do not feel they can let him go, even for a few months.

To the uninitiated, "dean" is a formidable word. The Freshman thinks "dean" is an instrument of torture which survived the Spanish Inquisition. And, as sometimes happens, even in the best regulated student-families, a summess to the dean's office causes an unpleasant sensation. The language of the summons is simple and direct, and contains the warning that to neglect it "will not be excused". Intended to inspire promptness, it may inspire awe and cause weak hearts to quake with a vague dread of impending calamity. If there is any such uncertainty in a student's mind it is always dispelled by the courtesy and sympathy with which Dean Greenough makes every student feel that broad justice will be done.

Those who are to "carry on" during Dean Greenough's absence will uphold this tradition. Meanwhile, all undergraduates join in wishing him a pleasant trip and a well earned vacation--until September.