H. G. C. CONCERTS.

THE opening Glee Club Concert of the year was given on Monday last, November 17, at West Newton, for the benefit of the Home connected with the Young Women's Christian Association, before a large and appreciative audience. It was unusually early in the year for the club to make an appearance in public, but the results justified the confidence of its members; for the concert, though not quite up to two or three of those last year, was yet quite equal in excellence to the average. At quarter of seven the club started in hacks for West Newton, and had a delightfully cool and moist ride of about an hour.

The programme was mostly made up of the old and almost wrinkled favorites which have done duty so often in Cambridge, "Ave Maria," "Comrades in Arms," etc., and two or three new songs were sung which are to be brought out at the next concert at Lyceum Hall. Mr. Szemelenyi's tenor solo "Spirito Gentil" was encored, and the performers are confident that the piano duet would have been also, if the piano had had a little more "grand" about it. The "college songs" (?) with which the concert concluded were better done than usual, and made the customary hit. Some merriment was excited by the well-meant but futile attempts of one gentleman to remember the words of "Nelly was a Lady," -

"Down on the Mississippi floating

Death comes a rapping at my door," -

but he came in at the finish nobly.

After the concert the settees were removed, and a very pleasant dance was improvised, at the close of which the club were invited to the house of a gentleman near by and handsomely entertained. After remaining there for about an hour, at the suggestion of the damp and cursing hackmen they started homeward, and reached Cambridge at about - o'clock, having had a very pleasant time.

On the following evening the H. G. C. assisted at a concert given at Union Hall, in the Port, which was given for the same object as that of the night before.

The H. G. C. is to sing at a concert in Salem some time in January, and have in view concerts at Brookline, Jamaica Plain, New Bedford, and Boston, besides the regular February and June concerts with the Pierian Sodality.