RULES AND REGULATIONS.

AT length the College Bible is placed before us, containing the instructions by which the undergraduate is to be guided clear of the shoals and quicksands which surround his course.

Its commandments, though not written on tablets of stone, are, however, more numerous, and intended, if possible, to be more binding than those of Biblical history. Its beatitudes address themselves to our better nature, and can all be summed up in one, - Blessed are the obedient, for they shall obtain marks. Its two cardinal doctrines are rewards and punishments. One rises from a perusal of the work refreshed and invigorated. It begins with mark, profusely deals with mark, and ends with the same interesting topic.

The seductive pleasures which invite the student cease to have their force when the swift and severe penalties are considered which follow any indulgence in this direction.

There are some important changes since last year. Students have now to obtain seventy-five per cent of the maximum mark in any elective study in order to get on the "Rank List," which is five per cent higher than has hitherto been required, - a rule which will not increase the efforts of the diligent nor disturb the indolent, but will, if it has any effect, discourage rather than encourage others.

A student has to obtain "one half of the total maximum mark for the whole course from the time of his admission" to entitle him to the degree of A. B. This is a rather sudden and unexpected rise, and with such an extended "margin" as fifty per cent and the mark-et so variable we need not be astonished if "suspensions" are of frequent occurrence.

A deduction of eight is made for being absent or tardy at a recitation. It certainly seems that this rule will decrease the number of those who are tardy, but increase those who are absent; for if a person who has perhaps not prepared his lesson finds himself late, he does not at all relish the idea of going in and running the risk of receiving thirty-two additional deductions which the instructor can impose upon him, and so naturally cuts the recitation entirely, - a result most probably different from the one intended.

Whoever is unfortunate enough to be put upon special probation is deprived of one third of the privileges granted others. It is not sufficient that the offending one reforms, he must even reach a standard of excellence, higher than that which is required of his associates, and this is hardly probable. We do not believe that the greater one's task is the less time it will take to perform it, or in giving to an overworked man more work in order to rest him.

"No musical instrument shall be played upon, and no singing shall be allowed, except between the dinner hour and four o'clock in the afternoon, and between six o'clock and nine o'clock in the evening, and on Saturdays after the last recitation hour."

Nothing need be said about the expediency of this rule, but so long as it exists it would be extremely gratifying to see it impartially enforced. Why one person should be forbidden to play or sing only at the hours specified, while the privilege of doing otherwise is granted to an association of individuals is difficult to understand. It is poor reasoning that makes it worse for one man to disturb his immediate neighbors than for a dozen or more to disturb twice as many.

Under the dead letter rules might be placed the following: -

"Students are forbidden to make a noise, to throw snowballs, or to play any game in the College Yard or entries; to smoke on the steps or in the entries of the public halls; to cheer in the Yard or entries on any occasion except Class Day, or to proclaim the name of any person in connection with the cheering on that day."

It is impossible to conceive how, in the present nature of things, making a noise can be avoided. All students do not possess Carker-like proclivities, and we may expect that noises will continue to be made. The faith of those who believe snowballs will not be thrown in the Yard this winter will be much weakened at the first snowstorm.

If some law could be discovered to prevent its snowing, this rule would probably have greater force. Those who are rash enough to engage in the popular game of pitching pennies must now pay for their temerity by receiving publics and the like. As to the latter part of the rule, that is evidently meant for sarcasm, and we pass it by.

There are two clauses in sections thirty-eight and thirty-nine which are an unfair discrimination in favor of those who are over twenty-one years old.

Ought the certificates of sickness signed by those students who are of age to have any more weight than the certificates of those who are not so old? Ought one class of students to be excused from church at their own request, while another class is not? If a line must be drawn somewhere, then extend the privilege to every student. It is absurd to maintain that this week one is incompetent to judge of his moral welfare, but the next week competent to do so. One student is, as a general rule, no better qualified to decide upon such matters than another. A question of age should no more be taken into consideration here than in the assignment of scholarships.