THE INSTITUTE OF 1770.

AGE in America does not generally receive the consideration which it deserves, and it is perhaps natural that we forget to honor, as we should, the venerable society of the Institute, handed down to us through more than a century. Its past history puts it in the foremost rank of literary societies, but its future is ours to make or mar. It is incumbent on the present members, therefore, and those soon to follow, to guard against any weak reliance on its ancient reputation. Let the advantages of membership exist not solely in name, as we too often hear it said they do, but let each member take a pride in keeping up the standard of its former literary excellence.

The object of the present writing is not, however, to point out the faults, but rather the present status and prospects of the society, which warrant the most flattering hopes for its future.

The present Sophomore class, on undertaking the conduct of the Institute, felt that although much good work had been done for it by the classes immediately preceding, and although it had in some respects been well maintained, yet that there existed a very general lack of interest in its literary work.

An infusion of some new life seemed necessary, and to this end the members worked sedulously to diversify and render the performances interesting by every means in their power. These efforts were successful in a marked degree, and the society can point to its records for the last six months with pardonable pride. Still, many were not satisfied, and it was not long before the one thing needful took definite shape in the minds of all. What interest or even dignity could attach to a society whose members sat dangling their legs over wooden benches, and the location of whose president, even, suggested nothing more dignified than a proctor eager in the pursuit after "cribs" at a Freshman examination in M. U. No, this truly was not an imposing spectacle; even the excellent singing, so pleasant as a relaxation after the strain of a debate, was insufficient to fill the vast recesses of the hall, and the little band of musical devotees in one corner was a truly touching sight. To cap the whole and leave no room for indecision, the President and Faculty concluded that cigar-stumps were too tempting a sight to Freshmen to insure proper attention to their examinations, and forbade smoking, that inseparable concomitant of all deep reflection or literary work. The atmosphere being no longer congenial, it was decided to move, and a committee appointed for the purpose was finally, after much tribulation, enabled to report a favorable location in No. 5 Holyoke House, which was accepted by the society. This room, large, high-studded, and in every way suited to the purposes for which it is intended, has been fitted up in a most becoming manner, with an eye to the aesthetic as well as the practical. Thanks to the generous subscriptions of the members, the committee have been obliged to omit nothing required in the best-appointed society rooms. According to the agreement of the lease the Institute library is to be removed hither. New and elegant bookcases have been ordered to receive it, and it will be rearranged, catalogued, and thrown open in a much more attractive and accessible form than heretofore. A piano has also been moved in, and a special meeting held to test the acoustic capabilities of the room, at which they were found to be of the highest order. Never before have we realized how effective choruses might be.

To accomplish all this, the Society has been at an expense of between four and five hundred dollars, more than half of which was subscribed at the meeting at which the change was decided upon, and the balance was forthcoming in so generous a manner as to give the strongest evidence of the growing interest felt for the society. So much for what has been done. It is in the future, however, that the Sophomores look for the best fruit of their labors, and are anxious that the spirit of progress, inaugurated by them, should find some worthy champions in those yet to come. Their active connection with the Institute is soon to cease, and the responsibility will rest with their successors taking advantage of the favoring circumstances under which they receive it to advance it even farther, and make it truly worthy of its ancient name and reputation.