A DISSENT.

[In order that all sides of the question may be represented we insert the following article, without holding ourselves responsible for its sentiments. - EDS.]

IN view of the fact that articles are multiplied in discussing the works of a favorite author, in presenting different theories of reputation, and on other topics, it may be not out of place to touch again upon the subject of religion. The articles which have preceded and occasioned the present one have presented - one in the guise of irony - the two most opposite opinions held of the state of religion, or, rather, of what one sees of religion at Harvard; and, as usually happens in such cases, the truth seems to lie between them.

In the first article is given that extravagant view of the case which is often entertained by members of the smaller and distant colleges, who, confident in the piety of their own white-chokered Faculties, and a little puffed up, perhaps, by an unusually successful prayer-meeting, exclaim with a pious shudder at the irreligion of Harvard. The second article in the Magenta is a comforting statement of our religious tendencies, chiefly resting for support upon the societies in College which represent the various denominations. Without attempting to discuss the value of such testimony, it may be mentioned that of one of these societies the members number over sixty, and yet it has been often found difficult to assemble the fifteen who constitute a quorum. The statements which have been made in regard to the catholicity which prevails here are beyond all cavil. Not only is it true that the College authorities studidiously avoid anything which might influence the religious opinions of a student, but the students themselves are not sharply divided by doctrinal lines, nor do they make their religion, when they have any, a barrier to separate them from others less correct than themselves. We often see the member of one denomination figuring as an earnest listener to the prayers and sermons of another; and those who are in any way remarkable for their strictness of life are seldom, if ever, taunted with the charge of exclusiveness. The good effect of such a state of feeling upon those who are to become ministers is almost incalculable. No bigoted or "priggish" character can be fostered in one who, without contempt or distrust, associates freely with men of all degrees of "goodness," and of many forms of belief.

So much can be said, religion at Harvard is neither sneered at by those who have it not, nor does it ever degenerate into cant. The question next arises, How much of this religion have we? And here, dissenting from the opinions already expressed, we venture to say that there is very little. In making such an assertion, we of course become liable to the charge of unwarrantably passing judgment upon our neighbors; but if the conversation and outward life of the average undergraduate show anything, they show a character which is not so entirely under the control of religion as might be inferred from the articles we have referred to. Surely we cannot assign to ourselves an amount of religion - using the word in a rather comprehensive sense - equal to that of outside communities, without casting aspersions upon our fathers and mothers, upon our uncles and aunts. It is of course absurd to suppose that any direct attempt is ever made to lead a man into wickedness, but I think we must all acknowledge that our standard of morality, or whatever else we may choose to call it, is low, and that very many of those who enter college change rapidly, and for the worse, after doing so. Misled by foolish books and advice, the Freshman often comes to college, confident in his own moral strength, but fully expecting to be exposed to very great and undisguised temptations; he looks for a veritable devil, with green eyes, crooked claws, and no end of a tail. In truth, however, he is met by a gentlemanly-looking person, with kid gloves, a cultivated intellect, and a manner that puts one immediately at ease. He may resist this unexpected and alluring form of temptation, and gain from the contest a strength of character which, owing to the circumstances we have already touched upon, is almost always accompanied by corresponding breadth; but it is not unlikely - judging from experience - that a style of conversation remarkable rather for its ingenious oaths and delicate doubles ententes than for its "yea and nay" simplicity, will betoken a decided, though perhaps gradual, change in his inner life.