LITERARY FORMULAE.

IT has become the fashion of late years for our large city newspapers to treat their less pretentious neighbors of the country with a kind of complacent disdain. We frequently see in them sharp hits against their plodding contemporaries, for commonplace and awkward expressions, and general lack of brilliancy. Though this criticism is to a large extent just, there is one matter in which our great metropolitan journals need to look to themselves. It is indeed a fault which is exceedingly prevalent in the highest class of our newspapers. I refer to the continual use of certain words and phrases, perhaps rather expressive originally, but which have been fairly worn out by indiscriminate and excessive use on all possible occasions.

One class of these words sprang into an immense use as a consequence of the Chicago fire, and have retained their place in the journalist's dialect ever since. Doubtless the man who invented the expression "Fire-Fiend" thought he had done a good thing in the way of personification, and the first six or seven editorials on the great fire were perhaps strengthened by the use of that bold figure. At any rate, its popularity was insured by the indorsement thus received. The "Phoenix" had also manifested himself to a few hopeful minds at this time, and these two some - what mythical personages forthwith entered upon an extended tour in company. For months their popularity continued undiminished. The hit made by this combination was immense. The Fiend and the Phoenix were quoted far and wide. Even after the immediate appropriateness of their use was past, the newspaper men could n't give them up. It is but recently that a leading Boston daily ascribed a very modest and unpretentious conflagration to that same old demon, - the Fire-Fiend.

It is, however, on the interesting occasion of a presentation or a surprise party that the reporters find their formulae most useful. Here the subject is so simple, and the calls for such notices so frequent, that many of the largest journals have issued printed blanks to their reporters, simply requiring to be filled out in accordance with circumstances. Such a blank form generally reads somewhat as follows: -

PLEASANT SURPRISE.The many friends of Mr. - , the well-known - of this city, called at his residence on - Street last evening, to the complete surprise of himself and his excellent lady, who nevertheless exerted themselves, with their usual affability, to make their guests at home. During the evening, -, Esq., made a brief speech in his usual happy vein, at the close of which he made the worthy couple the recipients of -. This valuable present was a well-merited testimonial of respect and esteem for the long and valuable public services of Mr. -, and was feelingly accepted by that gentleman in a few well-chosen remarks. After doing justice to a bountiful repast, the company separated at a late hour.

A first-class newspaper, with all the modern improvements, will also have a blank for fashionable weddings, just as convenient in its way as the marriage service, and with little but names to be supplied. Here different papers vary a little from each other; but the form in use by one of our prominent journals will serve very well as an example: -

FASHIONABLE WEDDING.The church of - , - Street, was filled last night to repletion by the beauty and fashion of the city, to witness the nuptials of Mr. -, of the well-known firm of -, with Miss - , daughter of -, Esq. The fair bride was elegantly attired in a -, trimmed with the richest point lace. The entire outfit is said by those in the secret to have cost $10,000 in Paris, and is the most elegant thing in its way ever seen in this city. The sacred edifice was profusely decorated by an elaborate floral display from the well-known house of -, of this city.

Here follows a space for four or five lines descriptive of the attire of the "lovely Misses -, who acted as bridesmaids," the celebrated Prof.-, "who presided at the organ with his usual distinguished ability," and for one or two other incidents which cannot be conveniently foretold for all possible cases. The formula concludes: -

The happy couple were made the recipients of many congratulations, and started on their wedding-tour, followed by the best wishes of all present. The affair is conceded on all sides to be the most brilliant of the season.

Such literary formulae may be of great convenience to editors and reporters; but after they have been learned by the reading public, they begin to lose, in a large degree, their effect. If an item of intelligence is worth mentioning at all (and, by the way, the fact of such worthiness should be more fully established than is generally the case), it deserves a distinct and appropriate description, and not one made up of cast-off metaphors and worn-out expressions that have already served to describe similar occasions, time out of mind.

C. F. W.