EVENING LECTURES.

TO the sub-Freshman four years of study, with the advantages of the elective system, offer ample opportunity for initiation, at least, to all the principal branches of knowledge. The time appears adequate for the attainment of something in each department, and a little instruction from each of the most learned professors. When, however, three fourths of the course are passed, he finds to his disappointment that he has attained very much less than three fourths of what he estimated he should receive from his four years' work. The expected and the realized result are far from being equal. Another four years might be profitably consumed without exhausting the resources of the University.

The exclusive study for a profession, with the majority of students, begins immediately on the end of the academic course. Time necessary for acquiring much general information being thus limited, it is desirable to find the means of obtaining clear yet condensed views and recent opinions on such subjects as we are unable to bring into the list of our electives.

It is far from being an easy task to bring all the subjects one would be informed about within the number of electives. The primers of science which pretend to impart general information on their respective subjects are seldom reliable, and usually written for youthful minds. Since able instructors in the different sciences are not wanting, a series of short courses of evening lectures on the natural sciences might profitably supplement our regular instruction. The lecture-rooms of Boylston Hall are well suited for the purpose; one of them offering means for extensive illustration of subjects by calcium light.

Instructors have always willingly responded to invitations to lecture to College societies. Such lectures have been instructive, and have been highly appreciated. In 1873 a lecture on art was given before the Athenaeum. Professor Morse, last June, gave an entertaining and instructive lecture before the Natural History Society on the "Theory of Evolution." Photographic exhibitions of foreign views have formed the instructive amusement of several evenings. Such occasions have always been successful, and the regret is that they are so few.

The success of a series of short lecture-courses on anatomy, physiology, geology, astronomy, etc. by our own professors would not be at all doubtful. This plan of instruction would supply a real want. All that is necessary for its introduction is the expression of the desire for such instruction from a number of students sufficient to make the plan seem feasible to instructors.

College societies might inaugurate the movement successfully; for each has authority enough to insure the support of the undertaking. An invitation from any of them would doubtless be as favorably answered as heretofore. The influence of societies would make itself felt beyond the list of members, and the benefit to the College of such associations would be less doubtful.

These evening lectures would offer the means of freeing one's self from the embarrassment of ignorance on common subjects of discussion which many a graduate must feel without them. Many would receive and digest information thus given, who would not have time after regular work to glean it for themselves.

A.