REGATTA COMMITTEE.

AT the convention of Colleges, held at Hartford, it was decided that the Regatta Committee should consist of three, graduates of colleges, and not, as heretofore, of the unwieldy number of eleven or twelve. The delegates appointed to elect this committee met at Springfield on Friday, February 6. Each delegate of the ten present offered the name of a graduate of their respective colleges, and, by a marking list, the three finally elected were, Mr. Grinnel Willis of Harvard, Mr. C. H. Ferry of Yale, and Mr. J. B. Thomas of Wesleyan. If there is any unwillingness on the part of the above gentlemen to serve, others will be appointed in their stead. The position is a very important one; the entire management of the regatta will devolve upon them, and for anything and everything which goes wrong they alone will be responsible.

There was a doubt as to the power of the delegates to choose a referee and judges. It was thought that they possessed it, and, accordingly, a referee and five judges were chosen; but later, upon examining the minutes of the Hartford Convention, it has been found that the appointment of judges and referee rests with the captains of the competing crews. Therefore, the choice made at Springfield is of no effect. A committee to have the management of the Regatta Ball was also appointed, and consists of Mr. F. R. Appleton of Harvard, Mr. R. J. Cook of Yale, Mr. G. R. Allerton of Columbia, Mr. C. B. Hubbel of Williams, and Mr. Wm. J. Roberts of Trinity.

Mr. Conkling, President of the Saratoga Rowing Association, was at Springfield, and, at his invitation, the delegates from Harvard, Yale, Wesleyan, and Trinity went to Saratoga, both to see the course and its surroundings and to select quarters for the crews.

The course is almost perfect. At the start there is a width of over a mile, and, at the finish, of thirteen hundred feet; thus, at no part, could even the wildest steering possibly cause a foul. The water is reported to be clear of all weeds and grasses, and also very deep, even close to the shore. A road follows the lake on one side, near the bank, and on the other the ground is so high that a view of the course can be had from almost any position. At the finish the banks form an amphitheatre, from which the start can easily be seen with the naked eye.

By a system of signals the positions of the different boats at every half-mile will be known at the finish, - a system as effective and less expensive than that of telegraphing. Harvard's quarters are not chosen finally; but the most retired and comfortable ones will be obtained. The hotel accommodations are unequalled elsewhere; the lake is easily accessible; low prices are promised; and, in fact, it would seem that every condition of success, in this direction, will attend the regatta.

The morality of Saratoga and its evil influences have been, we think, unwarrantably blackened. The Rowing Association, under whose auspices the regatta is to be conducted, is composed of men whose appearance and manners claim for them the title of gentlemen. The collegiate and daily papers in New England which have denounced Saratoga have made a great many abusive insinuations, which, in our opinion, are entirely contradicted by facts. We are confident that all the crews which go to Saratoga will bring away with them the same opinion.