Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

No Headline

That Harvard College is "looked upon with the deepest horror by all good protectionists," says the Crimson, is evident from the fact that the Society for the Protection of American Industries "has sown broadcast throughout the college copies of the constitution of the society and of the proceedings at the remarkable meeting where the present organization was founded." These pamphlets will, however, the Crimson thinks, do little harm to the students, as few will read them, but for the sake of the few who have the curiosity to read them, it is suggested that some of our instructors in political economy or history step forward and expose the fallacies contained in these pamphlets. That there is, however, any danger to be apprehended from these pamphlets we doubt. We are far from being so dogmatic as to maintain that protection has no legs to stand on, but if the evasions and one-sided arguments of these pamphlets are the best exponents of the protectionist theory, the advocates of this side of the question can by such arguments only injure their cause among Harvard students who are accustomed to have such subjects treated of in a reasoning if not impartial manner. We cannot, therefore, join the Crimson in the fear for those who read these papers, for any fair-minded man who wishes to hear both sides of the question cannot but be turned against a cause that is forced to use such means for its defence. When something is said on the protectionist side which shows a spirit of fair discussion, it may be worth while for our instructors to point out to us through lectures what they believe to be errors in the protectionist arguments, but it would seem almost an insult to our intelligence to point out the absurd falacies in these pamphlets of the Society for the Protection of American Industries.