SUCCESS IN LAW.

PROFESSOR WASHBURN, in a recent lecture to the students in the Law School, gave a number of suggestions of value to those intending to enter that profession. We can notice but a few of the leading ones. In referring to the necessary qualifications of those intending to become lawyers, he said, "His position implies fair natural powers, trained intellect, good common-sense, habits of thought and reflection, diligence of research and preparation, strict integrity and honorable purpose." Such is the foundation for one who would be a successful lawyer. The prevailing idea that success is measured by the amount of fame a lawyer obtains was by no means favored, and, continuing, the lecturer paid great tribute to those who with painful diligence and labor have built up and established our system of Jurisprudence, in all its parts and details, into harmony and consistency, and made these accessible to others.

These are the men who in his opinion gain the greatest rewards, and who for their learning and practical wisdom are best fitted to fill responsible positions. While men of brilliant endowments may combine both learning and eloquence with great power, the Websters and Choates are few, and genius is a dangerous gift unless under control. The care which prepares an amount of valuable material is of greater advantage than brilliancy trusting to inspiration. The only hope of ever attaining success in law is founded on a broad liberal training and education, which should include a knowledge not only of law, but "something of everything," not for the training alone of the mind, but for practical use. A thorough knowledge of history, both social and political, of different countries, moral science, and business in every form, - such are a few of the departments necessary for a lawyer to be acquainted with. To those distrusting their ability to make a success at the bar, feeling a want of eloquence and facility in speaking, he gives a word of encouragement. "Eloquence is not to be got by mere high-sounding words. It often makes itself felt in the plainest and homeliest terms, speaking from the heart to the heart." The ready speaker who indulges in rhetorical displays produces as much effect as fire-works, which they so much resemble, receiving attention and admiration but for a moment. The slow, careful, consistent thinker, who proceeds in a methodical way to prove his case, is sure to succeed far better. But it is by no means necessary for a lawyer to ever appear in court to attain success, and some who do attain it, and that in the highest degree, are never known to speak in public. And last, but most important as an element of success, is placed honesty, which, considered as policy alone, is a necessity to any one who would for any length of time hold the respect of his clients. As a worthy example of this style of lawyer reference was made to Sumner, "who was true to his own convictions, unawed by popular clamor, or undismayed by private ill-will. If corruption was rife around him, it never stained his garments. If others were in the market, there was no price which could purchase him." Such was his greatest and an all-sufficient distinction.

S.