THE CONCERT.

THE regular June Concert by the Pierian Sodality and the Glee Club was given last Wednesday evening, at Lyceum Hall, before the usual large and appreciative audience.

The Pierian played better than we have ever heard them, their playing of the allegro from the Symphony being particularly good, showing faithful practice and intelligent conducting. Their spirited rendering of the "Hoch Konig Johann" march obtained an encore. This march was a great favorite last Class - Day.

The Glee Club showed a want of rehearsal, but sang well enough in their first three numbers, receiving an encore on "Fair Rohtraut," and giving "Love's Call" very smoothly. The tender calling of the second basses at the end of the latter piece aroused the expectations of the audience for the bass solo. The "Wein Galop," a sparkling piece of music, was sung unevenly, parts however being very well done.

The return to "college songs" gave evident satisfaction to the audience, and, judging from the hearty manner in which they were sung, the club itself must have enjoyed them.

The 'cello solo and the piano duet were honored with encores. Both the vocal soloists were well received. Mr. Babcock's profound and sympathetic voice raised a furor, which, some one said, reminded him of the reception of artists in Italy.

After the concert a "small" dance was proposed, for which the Pierian kindly played. The strains of Strauss's "Doctrinen" and "Autograph" waltzes floated in the air until after eleven o'clock, when the heart - rending tones of the "bull" fiddle were hushed.

To those whose faces we saw on Wednesday evening for the last time as college students in concert, with sincere regret we say "Good by."