THE FRENCH CLUB.

A WORD in regard to the future prospects of the French Club seems: desirable at this time, when important changes are about to take place in the nature of its exercises.

For some time a considerable lack of interest has been manifest at the meetings, owing to the frequent absence of members to whom parts have been assigned, and the consequent non-performance of the literary exercises. In fact, the original plan has to such an extent proved a failure, that the Club has become convinced of the necessity of some radical change in its methods of procedure, to insure that success which the enterprise deserves, and of which it is still believed capable. With this end in view, a committee appointed for the purpose have arranged for the delivery of a lecture before the Club on next Monday evening, January 18, to be followed, if the experiment should prove a success, by a course of lectures on dramatic literature, on every other Monday of the academic year.

On the alternate Mondays, it is now proposed to read some play of the author treated of in the previous lecture, the different parts having been previously distributed among the members by the committee in charge of the literary exercises. This distribution will be made far enough in advance to allow ample time for preparation, and, to insure a better understanding of the play, it may be found expedient to appoint some gentleman for every play, to study and be ready to explain any obscure allusions or phrases.

These readings, it is hoped, will prove the most pleasant sequel to the discussion of any particular dramatic author.

On Monday next M. Ley of Boston will lecture before the Club on the subject of Beaumarchais; and the following Monday "Le Mariage de Figaro," a play of this author, will be read by the Club, who have recently been presented with a number of copies of this play sufficient for the purpose. M. Bocher and M. Jaquinot have both, with their usual kindly interest in the welfare of the Club, expressed themselves ready to lecture before it occasionally. While all this is being done in the interests of the Club, it still remains a hard fact worthy of the attention of the members, that nothing good can be accomplished without their hearty co-operation, both by regular attendance, and conscientious performance of duties assigned to them. There are now over thirty members, and as the limit is set at forty, all desirous of joining should instantly apply.

On Monday next much important business will come before the Club with reference to a definitive arrangement for the future, and it is hoped that every member will be present. The lecture will begin promptly at half past seven o'clock.