SOME GRIEVANCES.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

THE last Catalogue contains notice that all the rooms in Holworthy, with exception of those occupied by Proctors, will be charged this year a rent of $250. I should unhesitatingly commend this action of the Bursar if the post facto nature of the act were removed. To advertise one price, and, when the rooms are taken, to raise that price, is manifestly unjust. Two hundred and fifty dollars is not too much to be asked for Holworthy rooms, but I have looked in vain for a notice that the rent of other and very undesirable rooms - such as those in the upper stories of Thayer - is to be reduced in proportion to the advance of price in Holworthy. The Bursar, by this move, has added to the annual income of the College the neat sum of $1,350. It has been taken from the pockets of a class of students who can well afford to pay it, and could it be expended better than by saving the pockets of a class to whom room-rent is an item of great consequence? One class gets an amount of comfort which is fully worth the price they pay; the other class pays a high price for very uncomfortable quarters.

Another grievance connected with college rooms occurred but a few days ago. The goody in one of the buildings so far deviated from her usual lady-like behavior as to get drunk. While in this state she lost the bunch of keys which serve as an insignia of her office and admit her to our various dens. A new goody was appointed, and the next morning only those rooms were attended to which happened to be opened when she went her rounds. Remonstrated with for neglect, she said that the College expected a new key to be provided by the occupant of each of the rooms under her care. This was so contrary to any sense of justice that the Bursar was appealed to. He laid down the startling doctrine that the College required that occupants of rooms must provide the goody with keys to their doors if they wanted their rooms taken care of. He said that the College agreed to take care of the rooms in consideration of the rent paid, but only when they were left open or keys were furnished.

Granting the equity of this decision, and supposing that I have supplied the goody with a key originally, I wish to remonstrate against the penalty which the College imposes on me for the carelessness of their servant. If we supply these keys they should give us some authority over the servants. We should have the right to make them responsible for our property if it is intrusted to their care, and if they are not responsible to us, we should have it in our power to appeal to some one in authority who would punish their carelessness, and that too not at our expense.

A SUFFERER.