THE ELECTIVES.

THE information about electives is so scanty, that we have attempted to gather together a few facts by asking each professor some questions concerning his courses. The amount of information obtained in this way is necessarily small, but we hope that, such as it is, it will be of some aid to persons who have to make out lists in almost entire ignorance of what they are choosing.

In Greek, the courses are described in the Schedule of Electives. In the courses given by Professors Goodwin and Anderson, the marking will be done entirely on the examinations.

In Latin, Professor Greenough will mark entirely on examinations. Course II. is intended for the men who have passed the advanced entrance examinations, and, in general, for Freshmen of the A Divisions. Latin III. is essentially philosophical. The object is to enable men to read Philosophy in Latin; and although the tenets in the various schools are not the main object of the course, they will be brought in constantly.

Professor Lane's courses are well known, and it is also generally known that his marks are given principally on recitations.

The plan of the new course in Comparative Philology is to study the subject as far as a knowledge of Latin and Greek will allow. The tutor will use Sanskrit when possible, but no knowledge of that tongue is expected of the student. The books indicated are not thoroughly decided upon. The text-books will be in English, but occasional reference to German authors may be found convenient.

In English 1 no attention will be paid next year to Comparative Philology and to early Teutonic Languages. In place of the Accidence, specimens of early English will be read. English 2 and 3 will remain essentially as they are this year.

German 4 is intended only for persons fond of the language. Loafers will find it hard. Course 3 will be much the same, though not so far advanced. Marks will be given on both recitations and examinations.

In French 4 extracts from the works of the greatest authors - Montesquieu, La Sage, Didot, Voltaire, Rousseau, Beaumarchais, etc. - will be read, and lectures in French will be given on these authors and their times. Translation from English into French once a week. Those who take the course as a three-hour elective will study Paul Albert's "History of French Literature in the Fourteenth Century." History 3 will take up the Constitutional History of England, and possibly the History of the United States from the beginning of the Revolution. Lectures on Modern History will also be delivered. In History 2 no regular text-books will be used, but students are expected to obtain information from any source. In Roman Law more attention will be given to Contracts and Procedure than to other subjects.

For information about the electives in Mathematics we are happy to be able to refer to the careful account kindly prepared for us by one of the professors of the subject.

Fine Arts 3 is intended as a continuation of Fine Arts 2. Fine Arts 1 will go over the same ground again, devoting five hours a week to drawing and one to recitations. The text-book used is Ruskin's "Modern Painters." Marks are given on drawings and on examinations. The examinations include nothing but the parts of Ruskin studied in recitations.