EARLY SCHOLARSHIP AT HARVARD.

"OLD Mr. Wadsworth tells of a curious visit made to this College in July, 1680, by two Dutchmen from Friesland. They were Jasper Dankers and Peter Sluyter, who were making a tour in several American colonies, and made the following record in their diary:-

"9th, Tuesday. - We started out to go to Cambridge, lying to the N. E. of Boston, in order to see their college and printing-office. We left abt. 6 o'k in the morning, and were set across the river at Charlestown. We reached Cambridge abt. 8 o'k. It is not a large village, and the houses stand very much apart. The college building is the most conspicuous among them. We went to it expecting to see something curious, as it is the only college or would-be academy of the Protestants in all America; but we found ourselves mistaken. In approaching the house we neither heard nor saw anything mentionable; but going to the other side of the building we heard noise enough in an upper room to lead my comrade to suppose they were engaged in disputation. We entered and went up stairs, where a person met us and requested us to walk in, which we did. We found there eight or ten young fellows sitting around, smoking tobacco, with the smoke of which the room was so full that you could hardly see; and the whole house smelt so strong of it, that when I was going up stairs I said, 'This is certainly a tavern.' We excused ourselves that we could speak English only a little, but understood Dutch or French, which they did not. However, we spake as well as we could. We inquired how many professors there were, and they replied not one, that there was no money to support one. We asked how many students there were. They said at first thirty, and then came down to twenty. I afterward understood there were probably not ten. They could hardly speak a word of Latin, so that my comrade could not converse with them. They took us to the library, where there was nothing particular. We looked over it a little. They presented us with a glass of wine. This is all we ascertained there. The minister of the place goes there morning and evening to make prayer, and has charge over them. The students have tutors or masters. Our visit was soon over." - Am. Reg.