H. U. B. C.

LAST Monday, at Springfield, the details of the race on the 30th of June were settled. Mr. Howe represented Yale, and Mr. Weld and Mr. Otis, Harvard. According to the agreement entered into last fall, the umpire was chosen by lot from two candidates nominated by the colleges. The lot fell to Professor H. M. Wheeler of Yale. The time of day for the race was then considered. Yale preferred to row in the morning, while Harvard favored the afternoon, as it would be more convenient for spectators. It was finally settled that the time of day should be 4.30 P. M., and in case of postponement, Saturday morning at 10.30. It was next decided that there should be two judges from each college, who should be stationed in two boats at each end of the finish-line, and that the Regatta Committee should consist of two persons, one from each college, who should be empowered to act with the city authorities in making all the further arrangements necessary. The committee then adjourned.

The authorities at Springfield will be asked to do for the Regatta about the same as has always been done at Saratoga. They will be asked to have the course accurately surveyed, and buoyed at start and finish, before the arrival of the crews, and to agree to keep it clear of boats during the race; to build a Grand Stand at the finish, for which the price of admission shall not be more than fifty cents; to furnish a steamer to follow the race, whose speed shall be at least fourteen miles an hour, and which shall be ready for use, and at the service of the Regatta Committee, four days before the 30th of June; to build a boat-house, with float for each crew, at such places as they shall designate, each building to be sixty-five feet long by twelve feet broad, and high enough for a man to stand in; to regulate the charges at hotels, and the fares of hacks, for the protection of spectators. The quarters of the crew will be the same as in 1873. The course has not yet been definitely determined upon.

The closing of the H. U. B. C. Boat-House to all undergraduates, except members of the Club, has been carried out, as was proposed some time ago, and of which notice was given in the College papers. The Executive Committee have found it impossible to maintain order in the Boat-House, and to pay the necessary expenses, without taking this action. The necessary expenses a year are: Four hundred dollars for rent, about eighty dollars for water, and fifty dollars for janitor's work. Any member of the University can become a member of the H. U. B. C. by paying three dollars and signing the Constitution. The rent of lockers is two dollars a year; of rests, ten dollars.