"QUOUSQUE TANDEM."

EDS. OF CRIMSON, - Will you allow me to intrude upon your space to propose a question upon which there seems to have been hitherto but little dispute, owing to the indifferent light in which the majority of the students are wont to regard it?

A large part of the complaints which have filled the columns of the College papers recently have emanated from the mismanagement of Memorial Hall, and not a few of these have been caused by some trifling lack of politeness on the part of the guests in the gallery, and the boyish clamor of certain Freshmen in consequence.

Now, it seems to me that we could dispense with much trouble, and often mortification, by politely requesting our guests to call at some other time, or, in other words, exclude visitors from the gallery during meal-times. To the public this would not be a very great deprivation, however novel a sight it may be to see "the animals fed," and certainly it would be slightly more edifying to the students to dine in private. We are not fed at the public expense; why, then, should our dining-hall be a public one? We enjoy at all times a guest's company at dinner, but we prefer to have him break bread with us, to his standing over us watching our every movement.

So long as our guests are confined to the friends of the students, there seems to be no real objection to their coming to look at us from the distant gallery, even though they may see fit to use an opera-glass; but, unfortunately, the strangers out-number the friends, and far too large a number of objectionable characters find their way into the Hall.

I hope that I do not show an excess of modesty in thus endeavoring to shield my fellow-students from the popular gaze during their meals. But matters seem to have been growing more and more complicated in the gallery since visitors were admitted there, and now the question is, "How far," etc.