BOATING.

A MEETING of the Executive Committee was held last Wednesday evening, and one or two points of general interest were discussed. After Mr. Weld, '76, had been elected to fill the position on the Regatta Committee, and Mr. Roberts, '71, and Mr. Heminway, '77, to be the two judges, the question as to whether or not a single-sculler should be sent to Saratoga was brought up. Harvard has been so feebly represented in this part of the Regatta during the past few years, that every one must feel that it is better to send nobody than one who is but a moderately good oar. Besides this, the price of a shell has to be considered in a year, when the cost of our summer's rowing will be nearly double what it was last year at Saratoga.

It was decided that the expenses at Saratoga, besides railroad fares, of any one who was chosen by the club to represent the College in the single-scull race would be paid; but that beyond this nothing else would be done. There have been four men trying for the single-race championship, Le Moyne, '77, Danforth, '77, Harriman, '77, and Denton, L. S. S. In a trial race, one or two weeks ago, in which the first three pulled, Le Moyne, '77, came in first in 15 m. 22 sec.; but the race was given to Harriman, who had 45 sec. allowance for a single-lap. Harriman has since withdrawn. There will be another race in a few days.

Since the change in the College color last year, there has been such an indefinite idea as to what shade of crimson was the shade, that a committee was appointed to look into the subject. Their report is as follows:-

TO THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, H. U. B. C.:-

GENTLEMEN, - Your committee on the choice of a color for the H. U. B. C. has the honor to report:-

That the color known as crimson being unsatisfactory to the majority of the students, it was deemed necessary to select a shade of red which should better meet the requirements of the College. Your committee has chosen Cardinal Red for the following reasons:-

I. It is a vivid, brilliant, and conspicuous red.

II. It is not liable to be confused with any other color.

III. It is a well-known and easily procured shade.

But if, at any future time, a shade of red can be procured which, being as vivid as cardinal red, yet approaches more nearly to crimson, your committee suggest that it be adopted. Your committee would suggest, furthermore, that it should be distinctly stated in the College papers what color and shade has been selected. Very respectfully,

SAMUEL SHERWOOD, Chairman.This report was accepted, and it is strongly urged that this be the College shade of crimson.

Up to date $1,785.61 have been paid into the treasury for the crew, besides about $400 have been raised to pay the rent on the boat-house. Most of this money has been used in paying last year's bills, and the crew will be all but pinched to get through both races. Subscriptions have been as large this year as last, but the amount netted from theatricals has been but half, - five hundred dollars.

The eight-oared crew is finally seated in the following order:-

Bancroft, '78 (stroke). Thayer, L. S. S. (6).

Bolan, '76 (2). Irving, L. S. S. (7).

James, L. S. S. (3). Morgan, '78 (bow).

Le Moyne, '78 (4). Cheney, 78 (cox.).

Jacobs, '79 (5).

Their average weight is 159 lbs. They are rowing the old "Harvard stroke," as adapted to the sliding-seat. They row 35 or 36 strokes to the minute, and spurt up to 40; but it is improbable they will row faster than 38 strokes to the minute on the 30th of June. As a whole, they are a very promising crew, and show signs of good coaching and training. They leave for Springfield next Thursday.

The six-oar is of course coming out of the eight. It has not been chosen yet, but the first three men in the eight will have the same positions in the six. They will go to Saratoga immediately after the struggle at Springfield is over.

The Freshmen are doing well. For such a heavy crew to pull its weight is next to impossible. But they are working hard, and have improved beyond expectation during May and June.