FIRE ESCAPES.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

SOMETHING has been written, and more has been said and thought, on the subject of proper fire-escapes for the various buildings in the Yard, but still the Corporation have taken no action in the matter, - at least to all outward seeming. It is incredible that those in office should be so careless of the safety of those under their charge, and so entirely regardless of their feelings and wishes in a matter of such vital importance. The necessity of these means of escape cannot be too strongly urged, and in view of the recent terrible disasters in Brooklyn and San Francisco, it certainly seems that some decided step should be taken by the students of the College or their parents in the matter.

The occupants of the various dormitories would be, in case of serious fire at night, roasted with as much neatness and despatch as the most ardent advocate of cremation could wish. Locked in their rooms, and in deep sleep, they could only be aroused to find escape impossible; the entries and stairways would act as most efficient chimneys, and the draught through them would draw the flames up from story to story with the utmost rapidity, effectually closing the only means of escape.

The entries of each building should have communication between them by means of a door on each floor, which would not only be of the greatest use in case of fire, but would be exceedingly convenient at other times. Of course, as the dormitories are now built, this would be impossible, but it is undoubtedly the way in which the buildings should have been constructed. There should also be a permanent iron ladder at the window of each entry, reaching from the roof to the ground.

Let the Corporation take up this matter now as they should have taken it up long ago, with no consideration of profit and loss, but with an eye only to the comfort and safety of those who are here under their care. For, in case of a large fire in the lower stories of these buildings, loss of life is certain to follow. In that event the members of the Corporation would be responsible for their criminal negligence.

W.