THE CREW.

Thursday, Jan. 18. - Thirteen men present. Pull seven hundred strokes. Run two miles. Mr. Dana "coached." During the past two weeks the men have improved on the "catch" and use of the slide. The shoulders "droop" at the "beginning," the backs are not kept straight, and above all the recovery is "ragged. The following men are now candidates for the crew: Legate, F. J. Le Moyne, Harriman, W. M. Le Moyne, Loring, Littauer, Schwartz, Jacobs, Brigham, Crocker, Preston, and Conlan.

Friday, Jan. 19. - Ten men present. Pull eight hundred strokes, and run one mile and a half. In trying to get their hands away from their bodies, in the recover, the men hurry the bodies forward: this makes the recover too quick. No part of the stroke is more difficult to acquire; it is one of the points in which English rowing differs from American, and is considered by Englishmen of great importance. Schwartz at present does the recover better than the rest of the men. No. 6 (W. M. Le Moyne) does not keep his back straight, "buckets," fails to get enough reach with his back, does not sit up well at the finish, at times goes back too far, and raises his hands in the middle of the stroke. He pulls hard, and is capable, from his experience, of making a powerful "oar."

Monday, Jan. 22. - Twelve men present. Pull seven hundred and fifty strokes. Run two miles. In the absence of W. M. Le Moyne, Crocker pulled at "6." Brigham, who pulled "5" to-night, uses his slide too soon in the stroke, gets hardly enough body reach forward, and when he tries for more, is inclined to "bucket.' He does not shoot his hands out and pull them in on the same level, is inclined to pull them in too low, and goes back too far. Brigham is one of the strongest men that are trying, and pulls with more fire than any other. The men need to pay especial attention to acquiring a slow and smooth recover. When the stroke is quickened, the men quicken the recover too much. They are also inclined to "jerk" at the end of the stroke instead of letting the body finish easily, and come forward again slowly without pausing.

Tuesday, Jan. 23. - Twelve men present. Pull seven hundred and fifty strokes. Run two miles. The "time" has improved during the past two weeks, but the men are not well together on the shoot of the hands and the slide forward. Some of the men fail to get the proper recover. Loring reaches forward too much with his shoulders, does not sit up well at the finish, and is inclined to "settle." He shoots his hands quickly, but lets his body follow too fast. Legate fails to get enough body reach forward, does not always pull his oar "home," and, although improving, does not get his arms out straight at the beginning of the recover. He too has the fault of letting his body hurry forward. At the finish he sometimes lets go of the lever with his outside hand instead of letting the lever turn in that hand. Legate pulls hard, and, considering that he has had less experience in rowing than most of the other men, is doing very well.

Wednesday, Jan. 24. - Twelve men present. Pull eight hundred strokes, and run two miles. The worst fault is still the hurried recover. Preston fails as much as any to part with this. He gets a trifle too much reach with his body, reaches around with his outside shoulder, fails to sit up always at the finish, and does not pull his hands in high enough. His chief fault is that of using his arms too much. At no part of the stroke are they straight. He works well, but should put more fire into the stroke. Harriman is apt to hurry the recover, and also lacks fire in the stroke. The finish of the stroke with his shoulders and upper part of his body is one of the best. He bends his inside arm just before taking the catch, and at times inclines his inside leg out too much in the same part of the stroke. He tries hard and will make a most graceful "oar."