MR. MOORE'S STUDIES FROM ITALIAN PAINTINGS.

AT the Art Club last Friday were exhibited three of Mr. Moore's studies of the Venetian masters, forming part of the collection he has already sent home as specimens of his own work during his stay abroad.

One was a small copy of Carpatio's celebrated Saint Ursula, showing the head and bust of the reclining saint, into which Mr. Moore has put all the perfections and imperfections of the original; another represents the group of Apostles that occupies the lower part of Titian's "Annunciation of the Virgin"; and the third is taken from Tintoretto.

After glancing at the lives and works of these masters, Professor Norton spoke at some length of the work with which Mr. Moore has been occupied during his stay in Italy, and expressed great satisfaction that the College should possess copies of such merit as those Mr. Moore has sent us. Mr. Norton considers these copies a great credit to the artist, as valuable, indeed, as originals; they show extraordinary care and delicacy, such as could have been given by a person of no less talents than Mr. Moore possesses.

Through the kindness and influence of Mr. Ruskin, the artist was allowed to take from the walls of the galleries, to a private room, whatever paintings he desired to study, and thus he was able to accomplish faithfully his task.

Mr. Moore has hitherto been at work in Venice; he is now in Florence, pursuing there the studies of the great masters, and after that we may hope to see him at Harvard next year.

PHTZ.