THE ROOT OF THE BOATING EVIL.

WE wish to call attention to the true state of the club system of boating and to the real causes for that lack of interest which threatens to prove fatal. We believe that the trouble does not lie with the system itself, which was founded, after careful study, by men experienced in college boating and which, by the success of its first year, proved its excellence as a system. During that year good crews were carefully got together and good races rowed, and it was shown that, under these circumstances, enough rivalry existed to render the races amply interesting and the seats in a club six eagerly sought for. Had the same energetic management been kept up, the same interest would now be felt; and the decrease of this interest is directly chargeable to the captains of the several clubs, though an honorable exception is the present captain of Holyoke. There can be no doubt that, had the other captains worked as faithfully for their clubs as has Mr. LeMoyne for his, the quick interest of two years ago would still exist. Mr. LeMoyne is, moreover, occupied with his work on the University, yet manages to keep his men steadily practising; while the captains of Weld and Holworthy, who have no such conflicting duty, still find their ease too precious to be intrenched upon by anything so disagreeable as that work at the Gymnasium which their position requires of them. These gentlemen should feel that, as captains of their clubs, they accept responsibilities which cannot be disregarded. The captain of Matthews has tardily placed a book at the Gymnasium for his candidates; yet this, though a beginning, is a most feeble one, and needs to be vigorously followed up. It is useless to propose plans to change or replace the club system. We intend showing, in a later issue, that two cups are already in the possession of the College, forming ample prizes for the spring and fall races; and propositions to buy new boats might better be postponed. The fault lies not with the system, but with its managers, upon whom we earnestly call to "brace up."

Much was hoped for from the club crews in the way of bringing to notice and training a supply of oarsmen from which to select candidates for the University, and on this subject much has been written; but, strangely enough, the most vital point has been entirely neglected, viz. the proper coaching of the men in the club crews. They have been taught to row in such bad form and on such wrong principles that, on becoming candidates for the University, they are actually at a disadvantage when compared with the tyros. To obviate this, the captain of the University authorizes us to say, that he will be most glad to teach the captains of the several clubs the stroke adopted by his crew, that they may this year be able to properly coach their men and render them of permanent use. Moreover, as a coxswain has now become a part of the University crew, we must look to the clubs for a constant supply of light, trained steersmen; and this the captains should bear in mind when selecting their coxswains.

One of the club captains steadily advocates making the fours the principal crews, instead of the sixes. We strongly suspect that his eagerness in this matter springs from the feeling that his club is sure of four good men, but that it is difficult to secure for them two adequate supporters. It is scarcely necessary to give warning against a policy so evidently short-sighted and retrograde.