A PLEA FOR COMPETITION.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

IN the Catalogue can be found the list of scholarships in this College. This list is quite a long one, and contains some that have a good income. Following it is this statement: "None but those who need assistance are expected to apply for scholarships." This principle is undoubtedly wrong, and it is gratifying to see that the President, in his recent report, has come to this conclusion. Such a mistaken idea can only arise from a mistaken conception of the end for which a scholarship is established. A scholarship is undoubtedly intended to advance learning as much as possible. Then how can this end be attained, how can the highest learning be developed, but by allowing the freest competition? When the prize is set for learning, surely it is but fair that every one should have an equal chance. Under the present system the man of narrow means has the advantage.

Now what does this advantage arise from? Either from his superior learning or his narrow means. It must be the latter. It cannot be his superior learning, for since competition is not free, how do we know that the learning is superior? Any method of assigning scholarships except according to scholarly merit cannot fail of being demoralizing in proportion as the assignment is influenced by a regard for the circumstances of the applicant. It may be said that a change in the present system would have no different result, that the same men would take the scholarships as take them now. This may be very true, but there is no proof of it, since competition is not open. Until this is the case, a man who takes a scholarship cannot say that he has won it entirely by his learning.