BOATING.

FROM the boating reputation of Harvard in times gone by, from the number of the students and from the wealth of the majority, one justly expects to find here a hearty interest taken in boating. But during the boating season last year the racing boats of the clubs were filled with men few of whom were fit to row in a race, and the boats intended for those who row for exercise only were, except in a few instances, not used at all. The University Crew, when placed beside a first-rate crew, made no show whatever, and when placed beside ordinary crews, lost its chance of winning simply because money enough was not raised to buy a boat in season to prepare for the race. All this must be attributed to the lack of interest in boating.

It belongs to those who take any interest in Harvard's position in future boat races to inquire into the cause of this indifference. To ascribe the cause to the interest in base-ball and foot-ball is not just, for the number of students is large enough for all the sports, and success in one sport ought not to prevent success in another. I lay it to the deplorable spirit of laziness which prevails here to an alarming extent. Men prefer to lounge about with cigarettes in their months, chattering idle nonsense, rather than to devote their spare time to invigorating exercise. As to our training it is merely farcical; there were men on the University Crew last year who scarcely made any professional training, and who indulged in dissipation with the utmost sang froid.

Have we not pride enough, have we not energy enough, to put an end to such reproaches? Let us raise money, let all row who can, and let us revive the old-time spirit, when a seat in a class boat was an honor not easily acquired, and a seat in the "University" was guarded with such care and faithfulness that victory was made absolutely certain.

B.