OUR EXCHANGES.

THE Yale Courant contains an excellent article on "The Sphere of Criticism." Another, entitled "As Regards Eating," is tolerably amusing, though it gives us rather a startling idea of the company Yale men expect to meet at dinner-parties. The Editors of the Courant are disturbed in their minds because what they "considered a harmless joke - to the effect that there were twenty insane persons in the Senior Class - has been copied, in sober earnest, into nearly every college paper, large or small, in the country." The characteristic American amusement of telling untruths which are not meant to be believed is sometimes dangerous, when the stories told are not big enough to be improbable.

THE Acta Columbiana contains a long letter advocating the use of Latin Composition. We would suggest that an elementary course in Latin Literature would also be useful, at least to the Editors of the Acta. If these gentlemen were to begin the study of Horace's Odes, they would discover before they had got far (in Lib. I. Ode I, line I, first word), that the name of Horace's chief friend and patron is not spelt Macaenas.

THE Lafayette College Journal, in an editorial, publishes a list of tradesmen who have advertised in its columns, saying: "Preserve this list for reference, and when you can, help those who help the Journal." Here follows the list, consisting of clothiers, stationers, and so forth, and at the end, in the lowest and most humble position, a preparatory school! O Knowledge, where art thou fallen!

THE Michigan University Chronicle, which always is absorbed in some one subject of consuming interest, in its last issue discusses the beauty and general utility of "University Hall." Of the beauty we can get a faint idea from the admission by one of its defenders, that "the facade shows an incongruous mixture of wood, stucco, and galvanized iron,' and that "Mr. Ruskin might writhe in agony at the sight of the building." Without having been to Michigan, we have a fair idea of " University Hall."

THE marshy ground in the Campus at Brown having been filled in, a botanist in the Brunonian deplores the disappearance of the Viburnum lentago, Chelone glabra, and Ilex verticillata; we are happy to hear, however, that the Campus still boasts the possession of many rare and beautiful flowers, whose names fill up about a column in the Brunonian; among the prettiest of these names are Polygonum orientale, Campanula rapunculoides, and Alopecurus pratensis. It would be equally inelegant, impolite, and unnecessary to advise the Brunonians to "go to grass."

"JUST here we would like to moralize a little. An 'eleven' or a 'nine,' in visiting different colleges to engage in friendly contests, cannot be too careful of its conduct. They represent their college, and the impression they leave will without fail be attached to the whole college. Often in this way prejudices have been aroused against a college which have been very hard to remove."- Amherst Student.