THE ART CLUB.

FROM the enthusiasm manifested at the meeting of the Art Club on last Thursday week we feel confident that the Club is now based upon a footing to insure it a more lasting and creditable existence than it has yet enjoyed. All expressed delight with the rich collection of works on art placed at the disposal of the Club by the generosity of Professor Norton and one or two other gentlemen.

Professor Norton was warmly welcomed by the members present (a majority, we are happy to state), and the interest he has always so kindly professed in the Club seemed doubled by the resolution evident in all to make the Art Club worthy of the name it bears. At his suggestion it was decided that the fortnightly meetings should be converzationi of an entirely social nature, at which Art in any one of its various branches should be discussed. This plan was most successfully carried out at the subsequent meeting, last Thursday, when Modern Pottery and Porcelain formed the subject of conversation, some very good specimens having been lent for the occasion.

We understand that Professor Goodwin also has signified his willingness to attend some of the meetings, and to converse upon the recent discoveries of Dr. Schliemann at Olympia, etc.

Certainly, within the boundaries of so wide a realm as has been proposed, there will be much to interest and instruct all who have any taste for the refining arts; and for the advantage of those who cannot become members of the Art Club, we are requested to repeat the offer made at the beginning of last term. The Art Club will be glad to place the use of its rooms and books at the disposal of any one having a Fine Arts Elective, on payment of $1.00, the student sending his name to Mr. Barrett Wendell, 9 Linden Street.

The response to this offer when first made was so feeble (seven only complying with it) that it was not thought advisable to carry out the plan. But should a sufficient number apply to make this worth while, there would be opened to the students who take the Fine Arts Electives some advantages that ought not to be rejected.