OUR EXCHANGES.

THE Beacon (from Boston University), enraged at a pleasant notice in the Advocate, indulges in a column and a half of abuse of the Exchange Editor of that paper. The Beacon evidently regards the Advocate's remarks as an attack against college co-education, a subject upon which the members of Boston University are naturally somewhat sensitive. But this is hardly sufficient excuse for such flagrant abuse of our brother editor. The names "little innocent" and "mucker" which he is called in different parts of the paper can seldom be applied to the same individual; "child" and "frequenter of lager-beer saloons," too, are equally inconsistent. However, the writer of the communication is evidently a lady, - we beg pardon, we mean a co-ed, - perhaps the editress. How should she know that children do not frequent lager-beer saloons? It is natural, too, that she should feel hurt at being told that there are no men at Boston University. We acknowledge that the Beacon has proved conclusively that there are both men and women at Boston University. We should not say, however, judging from the last number of the Beacon, that those men and women were also ladies and gentlemen. The poet of the Beacon invites his inamorata to a promenade on the campus, which is the Boston University name for the Common. By the way, is it not a little inconsistent for a paper which has such a holy aborrence of a lager-beer saloon as the Beacon to take rum in its tea? We are afraid that the Beacon must have been imbibing some of this compound when the last number was written.

Two college editors have recently been assaulted, one on the Yale News, the other on the Columbia Spectator. The Spectator has the following editorial in regard to the matter: "The editor in charge of the illustrating department has been forced by a regard for his personal safety (he is now suffering under the effects of a thrashing delivered in consequence of the last cartoon) to put in black and white that which until the publication of the said cartoon he had not deemed necessary; id est, that the faces that have appeared and shall appear in these pages have been and shall be generic, not individual portraits; and that, moreover, he sees no reason why, when he depicts an ape, every ape in the community - thank Heaven, their number is very small - should immediately cry out, 'That's my picture' and he also sees less reason why they should thereupon abuse, cuff, and punish him accordingly." We hope that the exchange editor of the Advocate will not think it necessary to cowhide the editress of the Beacon.