OUR EXCHANGES.

THE exchange editor of the Niagara Index has got a new supply of eagle plumes, put on fresh war-paint, taken a firm grip of his tomahawk, and once more is on the war-path. He begins by slaughtering the University Press. A mild suggestion follows, that the editor of the OEst. us should be placed in an insane asylum. Then comes a long lesson in spelling, as an unlucky exchange has spelt. "Niagara" "Niagra." And the exchanges end with a biting piece of satire on the Dartmouth, and a hint that its poetical editor, and, indeed, most college poets, had better "learn to handle a shovel or do chores." Verily we tremble in our boots.

"A PROFESSOR in German created quite a sensation when, in giving out the lesson, he said: '80 is of not the least importance; 81 you will do well to study carefully; 82 is of no account; 83 I have just drilled you on, and therefore is "fresh in your minds." " - Cornell Era.

"A SCRIPTURAL Senior comes down repeating half mournfully, half reproachfully: 'O Sage. O Sage, thou that crusheth the Junior and aweth the Fresh, how oft would I have gathered thee as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not.' A conscience some what seared suggests, 'Was, nimmer?' And the laboring spirit answers, 'Not since the matron came.' - Cornell Era.

THE Williams Athenaeum holds up its hands in holy horror, as it says with bated breath: "The following conversation was overheard by one of our students at a fashionable watering-place this summer:-

"First Harvard Senior (to second ditto). - What college do you attend?

"Second H. S. - Harvard.

"F. H. S.- Is that so? So do I. What class are you in?

"S. H. S. - Class of '80.

"F. H. S. - By George, so am I!"

THE ambiguity of the English language is well shown in the following bit:-

"$250 is given to the lucky youth who enters Wellesley this year best fitted in Latin, Greek, and Mathematics." - University Magazine.

WE learn from an advertisement in a Western exchange that "The Harvard suit, now worn by college students all over the country." consists in a "four-button, straight-cut, frock coat, made of either a very nobby cassimere, English worsted, or basket goods." No mention is made of any other garment. Well, we live and learn.