THE MEETING OF THE H. A. A.

THE games of the Athletic Association last Saturday were very good as regards sport, and brilliant as regards audience. Providence certainly has contributed its share this year towards the success of the H. A. A., for both the Saturdays on which these games have been held were exceptionally fine. The track was in superb condition, and from some of the times made it hardly seems to merit the assertion of being over length. The sports began very soon after 2 P. M. with the

100-yards Dash. - Entries were: Messrs. Cowdin, '79, E. J. Wendell, '82, R. Trimble, '80, F. Warren, '82, Donaldson, '79. All came to the scratch, and got off well on the report of the pistol. Wendell took the lead, the others following close upon him, and breasted the tape first, Trimble two yards behind, Cowdin and Warren tied for third, Donaldson last. Time, 10 1/4 sec.

Half-mile Run. - For this there were but two entries, Messrs. Gaston, '80, and Crehore, '82. Crehore took the lead, and after a not very exciting contest won by a few yards. Time, 2 min. 21 sac.

One-mile Walk. - Three entries and three starters: Messrs. Holder, '81, Sterling, T. S., and Thompson, '82. None showed very good training or style. The race lay between Sterling and Holder, Thompson dropping behind on the second lap. It was won by Sterling in 8 min. 25. sec.

Bicycle Handicap. - Mile heats, best two in three. Out of the four entries three only came to the scratch, Swan, '82 (scratch man), Parker, '80 (15 yards), Sturgis, '81 (50 yards), Tubbs, '79 (200 yards), having withdrawn. This was the most exciting feature of the day. They all got well away, and for the first lap maintained nearly their relative positions. On the second lap Parker lost ground a little, and Swan began creeping up. Parker soon fell behind, and it was evident he was suffering from the effects of a recent fall. Swan gradually but surely decreased the distance between himself and Sturgis. Sturgis rode a brave race. On the last quarter of the last lap they were neck and neck, and, as they came driving down the home stretch, the excitement was intense, the cries of each man's friends resounding loud and long. They crossed the finish the same second, Swan leading by not more than six inches. Time, 3 min. 49 sec.

Running Broad Jump was withdrawn, as there was but one entry.

One-mile Run brought forward four contestants: C. O. Brewster, '79, W. Brewster, '81, Thatcher, '82, Manning, '82. Brewster, '79, took the lead at the start, which Thatcher tried unsuccessfully to capture. They kept their positions nearly the same for three laps, then Thatcher took the lead, Brewster, '81, coming next, which was the order at the finish; Manning third. Time, 5 min. 14 sec.

120-yards Hurdle-Race. - Entries were: Torrey, '82, Cowdin, '79, Warren, '82. The race was very close between them all. Cowdin took his hurdles easily, and recovered well. Torrey pressed him hard. But Cowdin was over the last hurdle first, and won the race in 19 1/4 sec., Torrey second, Warren last.

Bicycle Race (2d heat) brought Sturgis and Swan out, Parker having withdrawn. The race was almost an exact repetition of the first heat. Swan gained steadily, and they scored down the last hundred yards very evenly. Swan won this heat by two yards in 4 min. 7 sec.

Quarter-mile Run. - Out of five entries two only came to the scratch: Bacon, '80, Torrey, '82. It resulted in a very easy victory for Bacon in 1 min. 5 sec., which he bettered last year by 11 sec.

Tug-of-War was supposed to be between the Freshmen and Sophomores, but the Sophomores, evidently, intended only to gag the Freshmen, and so they did not appear at all. The Stewards, however, replaced them, and were beaten the first two rounds.

220-yards Dash. - Wendell, '82, Donaldson, '79, and Upham, '81, started. Wendell ran a very pretty race, followed closely by Donaldson, but Upham last. Won by Wendell in 24 sec.

Steeple-Chase was the final event, and crowned a good day's sports with an interesting and amusing race. The entries were open at the stake, and were filled by some ten men. The start took in a good broad jump over a wide hurdle, and after that the course lay over fences, hurdles, etc., for nearly three quarters of a mile. The scene created much amusement, as men went hobbling, falling, and crawling over these obstacles. As they approached the finish, it was plain the contest lay between Torrey, '82, and Butler, '77. It was won by Torrey, with Butler a very strong second.

The races were successful, at least in some respects. The records in the 100-yards dash and the 120-yards are far superior to anything ever made at Harvard, and should encourage other men to try and reduce the times of other years. The handicapping was a great success, and tempts us to say that it will be well for the Association to institute handicaps in everything next spring. The officers of the course were: Referee, F. W. Thayer, '78; Judges, S. Butler, '77, H. G. Danforth, '77, R. Trimble, '80, W. Kane, '82; Timekeepers, W. Twombley, '79, and W. Hooper, '80; Starter, F. M. Ware, '79; Field-Marshal, W. Hooper, '80.