LAWN TENNIS AGAIN.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON: -

I WAS very much surprised by the illiberal tone of a letter in your last paper, on the subject of lawn-tennis. Not only did the writer disapprove of the game, but he seemed to advocate violent measures for compelling those who like it to devote themselves to rowing instead! Granting that playing lawn-tennis is not violent exercise, and is not a manly sport, which seems to be your correspondent's opinion, only makes it more improbable that it diverts any men from rowing, as those who play it would be weak and effeminate; but we do not grant that it is unmanly, unless unmanliness consists in using skill as well as strength. Because it is played by ladies, the uninitiated (and your correspondent is apparently among the number) suppose it to belong to the genus croquet. Whoever wishes to remove this impression has only to try a game on the next hot day, and see whether he does not get as much exercise as a strong, healthy man requires. Any form of outdoor exercise can be taken easily; rowing itself, if one rows slowly enough, is anything but hard work; but just as a severe pull on the river is violent exercise, so is a good game of lawn-tennis. To call a game effeminate because it can be played without much exertion is a mode of reasoning which can as well be applied to rowing or base-ball as to lawn-tennis.

P.