YALE FRESHMEN vs. HARVARD FRESHMEN.

THE Freshman Nine visited New Haven last Saturday, where they were defeated by the Yale Freshmen by a score of 8 to 1. The game at first promised to be a close one, but by the end of the fifth inning the success of Yale was assured. The Harvard Nine found it impossible to bat Lamb's pitching, which was remarkably fine, while the Yale men batted Cruger with comparative ease. Had our pitcher been in the good condition in which we have seen him, their base-hit column would not have amounted to so much, we can safely say. For Yale, Lamb led at the bat and in the field, closely followed by Walden, whose play at second base was good. Thompson and Borie struck well, but the former did poorly at short. Ives, who is also catcher of the University Nine, hardly came up to the standard we had expected. The Yale Freshmen are a strong batting nine throughout.

For the Harvard Freshmen, Folsom's play at first was the best feature of the game. Coolidge at second, and W. A. Howe also did finely. In the seventh inning, with two on bases by clean hits, Cruger pitched so effectively that three men went out on strikes, neither of the base-runners securing a run. Elliott at short was fortunate in having so good a player on first, for his throws were not up to their usual standard.

Following is the score: -

HARVARD 81.

P. R. IB. T. B. P. O. A. E.

Howe J. S. C. 0 0 0 1 1 3

Fisher, R. 1 0 0 1 0 1

Cruger, P. 0 0 0 0 10 0

Howe, W. A. H. 0 1 1 7 3 0

Folsom, A. 0 1 1 16 0 0

Parker, M. 0 1 1 0 0 0

Coolidge, B. 0 0 0 0 5 0

Elliott, S. 0 0 0 1 5 0

Barton, L. 0 0 0 1 0 0

-- -- -- -- -- --

Total 1 3 3 27 24 4

YALE '81'.

P. R. IB. T. B. P. O. A. E.

Ives, H. 0 0 0 7 3 2

Lamb. P. 2 3 4 1 11 0

Hopkins, A. 0 1 1 9 0 1

Bradford, R. 0 1 1 1 0 0

Thompson, S. 1 2 2 2 1 3

Fuller, C. 1 0 0 1 0 0

Weaver, M. 1 1 1 1 1 0

Borie, L. 1 2 2 1 0 0

Walden, B. 2 2 2 4 1 0

-- -- -- -- -- --

Total 8 12 13 27 17 6

Earned runs, Yale 4. Passed balls, Ives 2; Howe 3. Wild pitches, Lamb 2; Cruger 4. Struck out, Yale 5; Harvard 6. Base on balls, Yale 1; Harvard 2.

Umpire: Mr. Horton of New Haven.