XENOPHON'S ACCOUNT OF THE GAMES.

AND there was a large park not far off, and in it a course had been made, in length about eight stadia; there, then, the youths were about to celebrate their games, having appointed stewards and judges, in order that, going thither, they might preside over them; and the general remained at the gate, taking tickets.

But the first contest was the run of two hundred cubits, and many athletes contended, tall and strong, and there was much rivalry among them.

And after this there was the walk of eight stadia, in which three youths contended; but lest, perchance, running they should escape notice, the judges followed in a chariot, drawn by two bay chariot-horses. And one, walking swiftly, was first by far; but the third, tall indeed and large as to his limbs, being left far behind, returned by a road, the shortest possible, among swamps and ditches; and the spectators with much laughter welcomed him climbing over the barrier; nor did any one know, what suffering, he did these things.

And next in turn there was the leap from the run; but, indeed, there being only one contesting, he gained the prize easily, although jumping far in no way.

But next after this succeeded the run of eight stadia; and one youth was somewhat ahead, but next followed a young man clothed in red as to his whole body; and last came another, excellent, indeed, as to other things, but not very swift of foot, far behind and running slowly; and applause arose up from among those assembled, as was fitting.

And thereupon, then, followed the contest of leaping over barriers while running; and two contending, the swiftest conquered, as was likely.

And after this, three youths ran a race of two stadia; and the first happened falling unexpectedly, so that thus, you see, the second conquered.

And when now, at length, it seemed best to those in power, there was a race of twenty-four stadia on a machine, wonderful to look upon, called by those inhabiting this region a bicycle, which is of such a kind as follows : there are two wheels, of which the foremost, on the one hand, is large, having many and long spokes, but the one behind, on the other hand, is very small. On these machines, then, they contended in the stadium; and two youths especially rode near to one another, at one time one being first, at another time another; but finally he that was the smaller was first by a little, and gained the prize.

And after these things there was a contest of depositing in a pail fifteen vegetables arranged in order; and many contended, not much skill being needed, and there was much laughter among those beholding.

But last of all there was a race of three legs, which contest is of this sort: two youths being bound together as to their inner legs, endeavoring thus to run, fall on the ground many times, as is likely. And the race was won by two youths, more young and tender than their companions, and called by them Freshmen.

Thence, the games being ended, the judges and other stewards went up back to the city in two-horse chariots, but most of the spectators proceeded on foot. And all were greatly delighted in mind at the games.