OUR SPORTING COLUMN.

ROWING.

Harlem Regatta. - At this regatta, on October 19, over a one-mile course, B. T. Keator of Yale won his trial-heat in 7 min. 39 1/2 sec. (Junior single sculls), but was beaten in the final in 7 min. 40 1/4 sec., by Lyon of the Dauntless Club. H. Livingston of Yale was beaten in his trial-heat for the Senior single sculls by Mills, N. Y. A. C., in 8 min. 7 1/2 sec. The brothers Livingston won the double-scull race from three other boats in 7 min. 12 1/2 sec.

The article on eight-oared shell rowing in our last issue was misinterpreted by a writer in the last Advocate. He ridicules the idea of shells turning in a scratch race; and no one can ridicule the idea more than we do, as we expressly said that the races should be straightaway. Our reference was particularly to the club races, and, as will be seen by this week's paper, these races are neither an impossible nor an improbable thing. There is no reason why eight-oared shells should not be used, if the men are willing to train. They are used at all the English colleges and by all the English schools, and what school-boys at Eton or Harrow can do, surely men of our College can do, if they will do sufficient training and work together. A reason for the second eight's rolling their shell in the manner described may have been owing to the changes of men and positions in the boat, or lack of practice in that boat; if, after sufficient practice, the eight could not handle their craft, it only shows a most remarkable lack of rowing ability on the part of the men composing it. As applied to scratch races, or even to club races, this may seem a foolish and unnecessary measure; but the present lack of rowing interest in the College is a sad epidemic, and for desperate diseases desperate remedies must be used.

ATHLETICS.Amateur Championships. - The third annual competitions for the American Amateur championships were held at New York, Oct. 12, on the N. Y. A. C. grounds. The weather was cold and raw, and the wind high. The 200-yards was won by W. C. Wilmer in 10 sec, the best American amateur time on record. The half-mile was won by E. Merritt, in 2 min. 5 1/4 sec.; best time, 2 min. 2 4/5 sec., by same man. Running high-jump, H E. Ficken, 5 ft. 5 in. Best record, 5 ft. 6 1/2 in., by J. P. Conover. Putting shot, H. E. Buermeyer, 37 ft. 4 in. Best on record by half-inch. Mr. B. won for the third consecutive time. Three-mile walk, T. H. Armstrong, 23 min. 12 1/2 sec. Best record, 21 min. 42 sec., by same man. Quarter-mile run, F. W. Brown, 54 3/8 sec. Best record, 52 1/5 sec., by W. C. Wilmer. Throwing hammer, W. B. Curtis, 80 ft. 2 in. Best record, 84 ft 5 3/4 in., by G. D. Parmley. 120-yards, H. E. Ficken, 17 1/4 sec. This is the best American time. Mile-run, T. H. Smith, 4 min. 51 1/4 sec. This is the best American time, and is a branch of running which has no first-class representatives in this country, because so few turn their attention to it. A man who could do 4.50 or 4.45 every time could win every prize offered in this country for this distance, 220 yards. W. C. Wilmer, 22 7/8 sec., which is the best on record. Pole-leaping, A. Ing, 9 ft. 4 in.; best record is 9 ft. 11 in. Running broad jump, W. C. Wilmer; best record, 19 ft. 8 in., by same man. Three-mile run, W. J. Duffy, 17 min. 25 sec.; best record, 16 min. 21 1/2 sec., by E. C. Stinson. Mr. Wilmer thus won three championships, and made two best on records, - an unparalleled feat.

220-Yards. - A best on record in any country was made by W. P. Phillips, scratch, in a handicap at the London Athletic Club grounds, Sept. 28. The time was 22 2/5 sec.

Seven-Mile Championship. - W. E. Whitmore beat W. E. McCredy for the seven-mile championship of the N. Y. A. C. in 59 min. 18 sec.

The different colleges of this country are now holding their athletic sports, but as yet no remarkable times have been made. We shall publish, at the end of this year, a comparative table of the times at all the American colleges, and we hope to see Harvard stand very high on the list. No college in America has the facilities for athletic sports of all kinds that we have, and that better time is not made at our meetings is simply disgraceful. However, better things may be in store for us in the future.

The Freshman Entry-Book will be kept open until Saturday morning to allow every opportunity for men to enter. At the present writing only four names appear on its pages, and if '82 do not come to time better, we shall fear that they are on a par with the upper classes in muscular inactivity.

BICYCLING.The page set apart for the Handicap Bicycle race in the Entry-Book is still an unbroken expanse. It should be remembered that any man who can stay on his machine has a chance in this race, and that he will have a half-mile start if that is necessary to equalize him with the scratch man. Let no one despair, therefore, but enter his name anyhow, and, if not satisfied with the handicap, no one is obliged to start. Out of thirty bicycles said to be in college, surely six or eight men can be found willing to enter. Every time a man is beaten he gets a longer start in the next, and if every man perseveres he cannot fail to win a cup finally.