AN ENCOUNTER WITH A PICKPOCKET.

A YOUNG lady, on entering a crowded horse-car, observed the sign, "Beware of Pickpockets!" She made her way to the middle of the car, and stopped beside a tall, fine-looking Harvard student, whose head towered up so high that it was unnoticed by the maiden. Her thoughts, indeed, were running upon pickpockets; and the probability that even she might be robbed of her small sum and the locket that contained the picture of her lover led her to thrust her hand hastily into her pocket to secure her purse. Horror! she finds a hand already there. Surely it is the hand of a thief. Grasping it bravely and holding it fast, she looked up for the owner, and was surprised to find that the villain had such a gentlemanly face. He even smiled sweetly upon her as she caught his eye. This was impertinence almost too great for her to bear; but she submitted, and pressed his hand tighter and tighter, for she was determined to have this fine-looking scamp punished for his attempt to pick her pocket. At this point the conductor came through; and, summoning her courage, the maiden cried out, -

"Conductor, this man has his hand in my pocket!"

"Excuse me, miss," interposed the gentleman from Harvard, "but you have your hand in my pocket."

Investigation showed that, owing to the crowded car and her proximity to the tall student, she had in fact put her hand into the wrong pocket. The student was not arrested.

P.[This incident is strictly true. EDS.]

MUSIC RECEIVED.THE following music has been received from Oliver Ditson & Co.:-

Four songs by J. K. Paine: No. 1, Matin Song; No. 2, "I wore your roses yesterday"; No. 3, Early Springtime; No. 4, Moonlight. "My love 's a little Fishermaid" (Song), by Berthold Tours. "Little darling, sleep again" (Cradle Song), by Arthur Sullivan. Coming (Song) and Shadow (Song), by George L. Osgood. Star, Rose, and Thorn (Song), by Richard Heard. The Rescued Colors (Song), by Campana. Idylle, by Rafael Joseffy. Pokcaha (Grand March), by F. Mnhkyca. L'Eclair (Cornet and Piano), Halevy.