THE NEW CATALOGUE.

THROUGH the kindness of the editor of the Catalogue the following facts have been taken from the advanced sheets. The whole number of students, 1322, in the several departments of the University are thus distributed:-

Bussey Institution 6

Dental School 15

Unmatriculated Students 15

Scientific School 16

Candidates for Higher Degrees 41

Law School 164

College (Seniors) 172

" (Juniors) 201

" (Sophomores) 196

" (Freshmen) 245

Medical School 251

By a comparison of this summary with that of last year it will be seen that the number of students has increased in all the departments, except the College proper. The number of Officers of Instruction and Government has now reached 167. Among the noticeable new names are those of Dr. D. A. Sargent, Assistant-Professor of Physical Training and Director of the Gymnasium, and Ko-Kun-Hua, Instructor in Chinese. Under the management and care of Prof. C. S. Sargent, the Arboretum at the Bussey Institution, according to the accounts in the Boston papers, will soon take a conspicuous place in the University.

The summer school seems to have done good work. In Botany there were 35 students; in Chemistry, 29; and in Geology, 7. The books in all the libraries have increased from 232,000 to 248,000. Evening readings are assuming yearly a greater importance. Besides Scientific German, readings are to be given, and comments made, in French, German, Spanish, and Italian, without translating.

In the Scientific School there is a revised course of instruction, which requires fewer recitations a week. In Thayer Hall the price of some of the rooms has been reduced, so that rooms which formerly cost $150 may now be had for $125. This is good news, and it would have been still better if the reduction had extended to all the rooms in that building, and the rest also. The Examination Group and the order of the Entrance Examinations are printed in the Catalogue this year for the first time. The editor has tried to restore the titles of the degrees of all the Officers of Instruction, and has improved, in many cases, the phraseology of the Catalogue.