SOPHOMORE CLASS SUPPER.

THE usual supper of the Sophomore class took place at Young's Hotel on last Friday evening, February 28. About seventy-five gentlemen were present; a smaller number than might have been desired, but still, taking everything into consideration, as large as could be expected. Mr. W. A. Slater officiated as president, and Mr. W. R. Thayer as toast-master. Mr. M. St. C. Wright was orator of the occasion, and Mr. C. T. Dazey, the poet; their efforts were highly praiseworthy and very successful. They were abundant in wit and in allusions, the peculiar significance of which was keenly appreciated. Nor was literary merit in any way sacrificed to these; both had their instructive passages.

The usual toasts were proposed. Mr. I. S. Whiting was called upon to respond for Alma Mater, and Mr. R. Sprague for the class; the latter toast, at Mr. Sprague's suggestion, was drunk with "Highland Honors." The toast to "The Ladies" was responded to by Mr. Godkin. Mr. C. R. Sanger responded for the committee. Mr. G. P. Upham was called upon to respond for the foot-ball eleven, and Mr. F. A. Barton for the base-ball nine. Mr. Brandegee, in his response for the crew, gave a brief description of the race last summer at Owasco Lake, and stated some facts regarding the circumstances of the race and time of the crews which considerably lessened the significance of Cornell's victory. Mr. C. Sprague was called upon to respond for the Advocate; Mr. Burdett, for the Crimson; and Mr. Hammond, for the Lampoon.

The exercises were interspersed with sons by Mr. J. H. Adams, the chorister, and by Messrs. Trenholm, Wentworth, Otis, and Peters. There was also a trio sung by Messrs. Wentworth, Trenholm, and Adams, and a duet by Messrs. Trenholm and Adams. The company broke up at about 11 o'clock.

The committee, Messrs. Sanger, Whiting, and H. R. W. Browne, are to be congratulated upon the success of their arrangements.