THE HARVARD-YALE RACE.

A CONFERENCE was held at New London on Saturday between Messrs. Bancroft and Trimble of Harvard, Thompson and Aldrich of Yale, and a committee of citizens, to make arrangements for the annual university race.

Friday, June 27, was settled upon as the date of the race, and it will take place between the hours of 3 and 5 P. M.

The arrangements are very nearly the same as those of last year.

At the request of the two captains, the citizens agreed to make the boat-houses water-tight, a quality they did not possess last year. They also agreed that the space below the finish line should be unobstructed for one quarter-mile, and be patrolled by police-boats, and that the course should be buoyed by yawls anchored half a mile apart, each boat flying a red flag from a staff twenty feet high. Last year the buoys were so small as to be almost invisible to coxswains, and therefore valueless as guides. The first-mentioned method of buoying would distinctly mark the course, and make it impossible for one crew to get into its opponent's water, except by intent.

It was suggested by Captain Trimble that permanent quarters be built for the crews adjacent to their boat-houses, and he submitted plans providing for two one-story houses having twelve sleeping-rooms, commodious kitchens, and such other conveniences as boating experience suggests. The suggestions are held under advisement. Should it be decided not to build quarters for the crews, Harvard will occupy those she had last year. Yale is unable to secure her old quarters, and must seek new ones.

An informal discussion upon the subject of permitting races by professional crews to take place here on the day of the University race revealed a decided sentiment in opposition.