CHANGES IN ELECTIVES FOR NEXT YEAR.

SOME changes have been made in the Elective Pamphlet for next year. The following is a brief outline of the most important ones: History is no longer required in the Sophomore year, nor Philosophy in the Junior year, but Sophomores will in future have to take twelve hours of electives, and Juniors fourteen. To supply the place of this required work three introductory courses in History are introduced, and three in Philosophy. The Philosophy courses will be conducted by Professors Bowen and Palmer, and by Dr. James, who will give a two-hour course on "The Doctrine of Evolution." These courses are offered in order that the student may be able to elect something that corresponds in some degree to the former required work.

Some changes are made in the Natural History courses, and a course in Biology is established, which will be required before taking the advanced course in Botany.

Political Economy is put by itself, instead of coming under the head of Philosophy. The course which corresponds to Philosophy 6 this year will probably be conducted by Professor Dunbar alone. Besides this and the advanced course, there will also be a more elementary course of two hours a week, to be conducted by an instructor, with lectures by Professor Dunbar.

A course on American History will be given by Mr. Hoague, and Mr. Gurney will give a course on "The Later History of the Roman Empire." The course on Roman Law is changed from a graduate to an undergraduate course, and an advanced course is added for graduates.

Fine Arts 2 will hereafter extend over two years, as Fine Arts 3 does now. The courses will also be differently numbered, Fine Arts 2 becoming 2 and 3, and Fine Arts 3 becoming 4 and 5. Courses 2 and 3 will be given in alternate years, and also 4 and 5.