CORRESPONDENCE.

THE MOTT HAVEN MEETING.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

THE person who, in a recent letter, attempted to explain away a suggestion advocating the admitting of Freshmen to the Tree on Class Day next, is, to say the least, illogical in his arguments and narrow in his views. He talks of "pleasing the Freshmen at the expense of the other classes," in a tone which is arrogant and unfair.

The statement that the "enclosure is already overcrowded" is not a true one, for there was ample room last year for another class; and this year, the Class-Day Committee have succeeded in getting at least one hundred more seats by running them out over the sidewalk.

Moreover, the writer contradicts himself a few lines on by suggesting that the Freshmen occupy the same enclosure next to Holden.

The inconsistency of this advocate for comfort to the Seniors and for politeness to the ladies is capped by his argument ending in an entirely different way from which he began; for, whereas he stoutly urges the exclusion of the Freshmen, he magnanimously adds that he is convinced that the Class-Day Committee would admit them, provided they sit quiet on the green next to Holden and do not join in a ring round the Tree.

The days of snobbishness at Harvard are passing away with those of hazing; is this not a good opportunity to put aside selfishness and petty feelings?

The Class of '82 have already brought honor to the College; so far they have shown themselves gentlemen, and there is no reason to believe that they would indulge in any rush if admitted to the Tree. They should be allowed there on equal terms with the other classes; and this right would be appreciated and appropriately regarded by them.

T.ARE WE SNEAK THIEVES?TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

WHEN an umbrella with the owner's name on it is stolen from Memorial Hall, one is consoled by the thought that it may have been taken by some poco who strolled into the umbrella rack; but when a student has a hat with his card pasted in it taken from a nail near his seat, and never returned, the chances are that some student has it. Now these students must be making a rich harvest this year, for at our table alone three hats and four umbrellas have been lost, - I should say stolen. I presume that these students are in training for the position of bank-defaulters after graduation, and that they served as telegraph-boys before their entrance here, - they certainly must have had some Fagan to teach them the trade. I should recommend to the Class Day Committee to put placards on the trees, for the benefit of those who are unacquainted with the kleptomania of some of us, reading as follows: "Beware of student sneak thieves and pickpockets!"

A SUFFERER.THE LACROSSE CLUB HATS.TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:-

ALMOST simultaneously with the appearance of the Crew hats, and those of the two Nines, the Lacrosse team come out with theirs. This seems to me an infringement of the well-understood feelings of the College towards those men who, by hard work and well-earned victories, have added so much to Harvard's credit. It is proper enough that these men should have what little distinction they can get out of their position, for it is the only reward their fellow-students can be stow upon them. The Lacrosse team is a good one, but they have never played a match game since their organization. Let them wait till they have done something more than to play practice games in Cambridge, - in a word, till they have earned their colors, and then no one will object to their wearing them.

S. M. H.