HARVARD NECROLOGY.

THE Harvard Necrology for 1878-79 presents some very interesting facts. The unwearied devotion of Mr. Sibley has been rewarded by the discovery of particulars concerning the death of many of the older graduates. Among these are Samuel Cobbett of Lynn, class of 1663, who died at Fairfield, Conn., 1713; Pascal Nelson, class of 1721, died at London, Eng., 1760; William Phipps of Cambridge, class of 1728, died at Pemaquid, Me., 1750 - 51; Samuel Moffatt, class of 1758, died at Demarara, 1780. The Necrology contains the names of seventy-five Academic graduates, fifty-eight of whom have died since last Commencement.

It also embraces the names of deceased graduates of other divisions of the College who did not graduate in the Academical department, as follows: twenty-one of the Medical School (fourteen of this number having died within the last year), eight of the Law School (seven during the past year), two of the Scientific, and one of the Divinity School.

During the year William Freeman, the oldest living graduate, passed away, nearly ninety-six years of age, leaving the venerable Joseph Head, class of 1804, patriarch of the Alumni. There still remains at least one representative of every class since 1803, with the exception of 1809.

Next year the Quinquennial Catalogue will be issued, and it is desirable that notices of the death of, and also of any honors which have been conferred on, graduates may be promptly forwarded to Mr. John Langdon Sibley, No. 9 Phillips Place, Cambridge, accompanied by answers to the questions to be found in the Triennial Catalogue, and if obituaries have been published, to send the newspapers containing them. It is also suggested to class secretaries to forward their reports as soon as published.