LATIN READINGS.

ARE we to have no Latin readings? It is proposed by the Greek department that there shall be a Greek reading on every Wednesday night until next May. Why is there no symptom of a like energy on the part of our Latin department? Is it because the Latin instructors feel the position of Latin to be so well assured that any further exertion in its behalf, other than that expended in the regular courses, would be unnecessary; while the instructors of Greek, on the other hand, realize that an animated sympathy with Greek, - such a sympathy as must come from something more than routine work, is of vital importance? It is true, that of late years there has been considerable doubt in some colleges, as to the advisability of retaining Greek in their curricula. The Greek department of Harvard, in determining to have Greek readings throughout the collegiate year, seem to have taken the wisest method possible of influencing the discussion in their favor. In no fairer or more manly way could they arouse real and effective interest in Greek, than by placing before the public the treasures of Greek literature and letting them judge for themselves as to its merits. Such a manner of presenting the case gives an impression, not only of their own confidence in the strength of their cause, but of the real power of the cause itself. To see such enthusiasm in others, is to discover it in one's self.

But does not the Latin department fall into error in considering apathy, in any direction, justifiable. Is there not danger of its awakening some day to the discomforting realization that, in popular favor, at least, Greek has outstripped it, and that, where it formerly held its head proudly in the first place, it must now be contented with a sorry second?

Or, is the deficiency of Latin literature to be held accountable? Can it be that there do not present themselves, in Latin literature, works of a nature to be entertaining to a popular audience? Surely no devotee of Latin would acknowledge its narrowness to be of so alarming a character. Would listeners who crowd to hear Sophocles and Homer find no attractions in Lucretius and Virgil? Would those who take a rollicking delight in Aristophanes, fail to respond to Plautus?

But there is one other possible explanation: perhaps the trouble with the Latin department is, that though each man in it is energetically and conscientiously working out his own ideas, the department as a whole lacks that unity of purpose which so pre-eminently distinguishes our department of Greek, and by which alone all desirable results can be attained. If this is the true explanation, - if the matter is, that the Latin instructors, blameless individually, do not pull well together, - then the case is, indeed, lamentable. For it is the community at large, and not the professors, who are to decide whether Greek and Latin are to continue in their present prominent positions as studies: it is the public who are to act as judges; and woe to Latin or Greek, if in her future great struggle for existence, there should be added to her enemies from without, that worse foe than all the rest, - want of harmony among her own pleaders.