INTERCEPTED LETTERS.

II.

CAMBRIDGE, in the 11th revolution of the Sun.

O FRINGE of my napkin, Doo Ling Hichae-chong sends unto thee greeting: Thou mayest well be surprised at the many strange customs of the Americans. Hearken, O magnet of my existence, to the habits I have observed among the learned youth of this great country; for you must know that in this country the youth are very wise, while the old men are they who seek to gain knowledge. I was much pleased and astonished last week when I attended what they call a recitation. The young men, having investigated some branch of learning, enter the room prepared and eager to impart their knowledge to the professor. They seat themselves upon two chairs apiece, using one for their feet, and when they have become quiet, the professor looks sharply at each youth, for the purpose, I am told, of seeing who are honest. He then checks those who are honest, and the labor of learning begins. Great was my astonishment to hear the professor ask questions of the youths. Amazed was I when they gave ready answers in words which seemed wise! The professor took notes of the information they gave him, after each youth's name as he answered, and in this way I suppose he stores up much wisdom in a year. I saw his notes but could not translate them; they were brief, but, I presume, expressive. Among them I saw symbols like these: "Mr. Hoo, 3 - " "Mr. Weily, 8 +." "Mr. Duebil, - 2."

I have time to speak of only one religious custom of the youths. Their principal god is called Mil Wah Kee; by some, Bir. There are two great shrines of this god in the neighborhood, and the high priests at each are named Adahm and Kahrll respectively. The worship of this god is by libations. The youths are very careful to perform their duties to him at least once every day. As I saw two youths at the shrine, I conjecture that this is the usual form of the ceremonies: One of them calls out and addresses the high priest thus: "To Mil Wah Kee, Adahm!" Then the high priest pours out the libation to Mil Wah Kee in high bowls, and the youths, taking each a bowl, hold it in one hand and blow across the top, and then swallow the liquid without taking breath. If they are highly devoted they make several libations. They must be very religious and conscientious in the performance of their rites, for when I tasted of their libation I found it exceeding bitter, and I marvelled much at their courage.

And now, O bow of my pig-tail, farewell. May the rising sun find thee prosperous, and the setting sun leave thee happy. This is the wish of the companion of thy youth.

DOO LING HICHAECHONG.