THE MOTT HAVEN SPORTS.

SATURDAY, the 29th of May, the annual sports of the Intercollegiate Athletic Association were held at Mott Haven, and proved to be, both in point of interest, and in good record, the most successful that have taken place. Nineteen colleges are members of the association, and nearly all of them were represented by athletes of considerable excellence. Columbia had the most entries, and Harvard came next, with twenty-five representatives.

Two trial heats were the first events to take place. A. T. Moore, '82 (Stevens), had a walkover in one, while E. J. Wendell, '82 (Harvard), won the other without any difficulty in 10 2/5 sec.

Next came the mile-walk. Three out of six men entered, appearing at the scratch. The walking was not very good, and R. H. Sayre, '81 (Columbia), beat Herrick, '82 (Harvard), in 7 min. 54 3/4 sec.

Eleven men entered for the standing high jump, and six competed. At 4 ft. 7 in., none were left except Keene, '80 (Harvard), and Soren, '83 (Harvard). The former beat the best amateur record, four feet ten inches, stopping at 4 ft. 11 1/4 in., while Soren surpassed every one with a record of 5 ft. 1 1/4 in.

The greatest interest of the day was centred in the mile-run, where several of the contestants were expected to do finely. Parker, '82 (Dartmouth), had a record of 4 min. 43 sec. Bell, '81, and Thorndike, '81 (Harvard), had both beaten 4 min. 45 sec., while Cuyler, '81 (Yale), was the "dash horse." Bell and Thorndike allowed themselves to drop behind at the start, apparently intending to keep their strength for the last lap. Cuyler and Parker in this way got a long lead. On the fourth lap, Thorndike drew up to second place, and Bell, by a brilliant spurt, took third place; but neither of them was able to catch Cuyler, who won in 4 min. 37 3/5 sec., just failing to equal the best amateur record. Thorndike's time was 4 min. 42 2/5 sec., and Bell's 4 min. 43 1/3 sec.

Eleven men threw the hammer, Bush, '80 (Columbia), taking first prize, with a record of 84 ft. 1/2 in. Irons, '81 (Brown), was second, throwing 75 ft. 10 1/2 in.

Four men entered for the half-mile run, which Ballard, '81 (U. of Penn.), won in 2 min. 9 1/5 sec. Taylor of Columbia, next, four seconds behind.

In the 220-yards dash, Wendell was almost pocketed at the start, but by a magnificent display of his speed on the last 100 yards, he won in 24 3/5 sec. Brown, '83 (Columbia), was second.

The running high jump proved an easy victory for Denniston, '83 (Harvard), the height being only 5 ft. 1 1/4 in. Sayre was second, at 4 ft. 11 3/4 in.

Tewksbury, '80 (Princeton), took the first prize for pole vaulting, reaching 9 ft. 4 in. Keene, '80 (Harvard), was second.

In putting the shot, Moore (Stevens) made a record of 35 ft. 1 1/8 in. Irons, second, with 33 ft. 1 1/4 in., and Thompson, '82 (Harvard), third, 32 ft. 9 1/4 in.

Combes, '81 (Columbia), and Wendell, '82 (Harvard), were the only competitors for the quarter-mile run, and the latter won in 55 1/5 sec., without being pressed.

The two-mile bicycle race proved uninteresting, being between Wurtz, '80 (Yale), and Field, '83 (Princeton). Field finished first in 6 min. 57 sec.

The final heat of the 100-yards dash went easily to Wendell, who was credited with only 10 4/5 sec.

Three contestants in the running broad jump made the following records: Thayer, '81 (U. of Penn.), 20 ft. 2 in.; Thompson, '82 (Harvard), 19 ft. 11 1/2 in.; and Irons, '81 (Brown), 18 ft. 9 1/4 in.

Strong, '81 (Lehigh), won the 120-yards hurdle race, in 19 1/4 sec.; Jones, '83 (Yale), second.

Soren of Harvard took the standing broad jump, at 10 ft. 1 in.

Thus Harvard took six first prizes, five second, and three third, getting nearly as many as all the rest of the colleges put together.