FAGS AT HARVARD.

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON: -

IN looking over some old family papers that might throw some light on my ancestry, for my class life, I came across a journal written by my great-grandfather, while he was at College about a hundred years ago. I give some extracts from his account of his Freshman year, hoping that they may be of interest when contrasted with the present condition of members of that class.

Yours, '81."Sept. 12, 1771. Having studied late into the night last eve over that very difficult problem in Euclid, called the pons asinorum, I over-slept myself this morning beyond six o'clock. On this account I was unable to cleanse the shoes of my master F., a Senior, but was obliged to hurry to Chapel. Consequently, when I returned after breakfast, F. called me into his room, and taking down a whip he is wont to use in riding, despite my entreaties, he so belabored my shoulders that I almost fainted. This is the first occasion that I have not attended to my duties, and I have no words to express my anger towards F. However, there is consolation in thinking that I shall have a chance to do likewise.

"Nov. 22, 1771. I received a parcel to-day containing a large and fat goose from mother, for my Thanksgiving, as I cannot go home. F. insisted that I should give it in his charge, and regaled a company of fellow Seniors with it at dinner, giving me only the two wings and merry-thought for my own portion.

"Dec. 10, 1771. It was so cold in the Yard this morning, that I put on my cap in going to recitations, which is contrary to rule. M., a Junior, saw me and threatened to tell my master, F., who would have flogged me soundly; but I bought M. off by giving him a shilling.

"May 13, 1772. This afternoon I was called up before the President and Faculty, and charged with being immoral and having broken one of the College ordinances of the College. The facts are simply these: Last night F. had a convivial party in his room, and wishing to entertain them, he despatched me to a grocer on Brattle Street for a jug of ale. I was just mounting the steps of Holworthy with the beverage, when J., a monitor, espied me. Coming up, he asked me whom it was for. I would not tell him, whereupon he poured the ale out on the ground and broke the jug. Moreover, he reported me to the Faculty. F., by the way, when I managed to reach his room, without the desired liquor, kicked me downstairs, using very bad words the while. So to-day, when I refused to say more about the ale than that I had fetched it, the President pronounced a long polemic against the evils of intoxication and of disobedience, finishing with rusticating me until the end of the mid-summer term. I am to go to Salem, a very quiet and sober place."