Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line


At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions


Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists


‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam


‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6



In our supplement we publish the full official statement of Harvard's position in the difficulty with Columbia. We present below the complete statement of Columbia's side of the affair, as contained in the Acta Columbiana. By comparing the two our readers, perhaps, can form a fair and independent judgment on the whole matter. The Acta says:

The story of the Harvard-Columbia affair at New London, in July last, forms a unique chapter in our boating history. The facts are as follows: Early in the year, it was arranged between the Harvard and Columbia boat clubs that the annual race should take place at New London, on July 24th, the distinct agreement being that the race should be rowed "on a fair ebb tide." "A fair ebb tide" at New London, and among men accustomed to deal with that course, is well understood to mean the tide at least two hours after flood, and it was so understood by the parties to the agreement. The condition as to the state of the tide was an explicit and essential part of the agreement, because, owing to the peculiarities of the Thames river, at no other time is the water equally fair to both contestants over the whole course down stream.

On June 23d, Benjamin, Columbia's coxswain, was drowned, and it became manifestly impossible and improper for us to row next day.

Subsequent events are best recited in the following statement, published at the time in Columbia's behalf:

"Mr. Goodwin, who was then coaching the crew at New London, and Captain Cowles at once saw Messrs. Watson and Bancroft, the Harvard coaches, and told them that, if necessary, the race for the next day must be declared off.

"Both the Harvard representatives acknowledged the propriety of this action, but hoped that Columbia would decide to row Harvard within a reasonable time, so that the event for which both crews had been so long preparing would not be entirely abandoned. It was at Harvard's request, therefore, that the Columbia crew decided not to disband. The Columbia captain thanked the Harvard representatives for their proposition and at once said that any day would be agreeable to his crew, but it must be after Mr. Benjamin's funeral. The day was then set by Harvard as Monday, July 3.

When Capt. Cowles saw Capt. Hammond he asked him about the hour for rowing, and Mr. Hammond then said he believed 12 M. would be the proper time, as he thought it would be high tide that day at about 10 A. M. Nothing further was said about the hour for the race until Saturday, July 1, when the Columbia crew, on their way to New London on their launch, stopped at the Harvard quarters. The captains then had an interview, and Mr. Cowles said he found the tide would be flood until 11.30 A. M., on Monday, and consequently a fair ebb tide would be about 2 o'clock, and he proposed to row at that hour. Mr. Hammond objected to 2, and desired 12 o'clock. Mr. Cowles then said that the conditions of the two courses at 12 M. would be very unlike, since the tide, as is well known, runs up on the Columbia course some time after it is making ebb on the other course, which is near the middle of the river. This he thought a very strong reason for objecting to rowing at 12, and he asked Mr. Hammond to give his objection to 2 o'clock. The Harvard captain said that some of his men wished to leave town on the afternoon train, which starts about 5 o'clock. So Mr. Cowles proposed 1 o'clock. Mr. Hammond said that seemed fair enough, and went to consult with his crew. He came back to say that he would have to see Mr. Bancroft before deciding.

"Mr. Watson could not be consulted as he had gone to Boston some days before. The next day Mr. Bancroft came to the Columbia quarters and asked what decision the Columbia men had come to. He was told that the college was very anxious for the race to come off, and that all that was needed was the same condition of water for both crews. Mr. Goodwin proposed that the race be rowed at 10 o'clock, if the Harvard men were anxious to leave New London, and that it either be rowed down and against the current, or up and with it. Mr. Bancroft insisted upon 12 o'clock as the only hour which suited his crew. After some further parley he said: 'You will row at 10 or you will row at 1, but you will not row at 12." Without another word he left the Columbia men."

The hour for the race remaining undetermined, on the evening of July 2d Mr. Goodwin and Captain Cowles went to the Harvard quarters to endeavor to reach a decision, and found there only Captain Hammond, of Harvard, who informed them that his men had gone away not to return, and would not row.

On the afternoon of July 3d the Columbia crew pulled over the course alone in the presence of Mr. Watson, the referee. Mr. Watson took the statement of Columbia and heard the Harvard side of the case afterwards in Boston, as we understand. He finally rendered the following decision:

BOSTON, July 6, 1882.J. A. B. COWLES, ESQ., CAPTAIN COLUMBIA COLLEGE CREW, NEW YORK: Dear Sir - My decision is that your crew has won the Columbia-Harvard race appointed to be rowed July 3d at New London, and that you are entitled to receive the flags from Harvard.

The original agreement was that the race should be rowed upon a fair ebb tide, that is, when the tide had run out for at least two hours. The tide was high, July 3, at noon, and in requesting Harvard to row at 2 P. M., you were simply asking to have the agreement carried out.

Moreover, the challenge sent by you, and accepted by Harvard, stipulated that the time of the race should be "mutually agreed" upon, and neither party had any right to insist upon any particular hour; and in refusing to compromise, Harvard assumed a position which was not in accordance with the agreement. Yours truly,

R. C. WATSON, Referee.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.