A HAND-BOOK OF PHYSICAL TRAINING, BY DR. SARGENT.

Through the courtesy of Dr. Sargent we have at hand a new pamphlet, entitled "Hand-book of Developing Exercises," which he has written during the past year as a guide for exercise in the gymnasium. In the preface it is stated that it "will serve as a substitute for the cards heretofore employed, and will also act as a more specific guide to the use of the new system of apparatus." It may also be serviceable to outsiders who follow a regular method of physical training. Then follow general remarks upon exercise, diet, sleep, air, bathing, and other subjects of the same class. In these are given first of all some general directions, and, later on, rules applying to special cases. The rest of the book is given to a full indication of the proper use of each apparatus in the gymnasium, stating the weights, time and rate in each case. Under each of these headings are lettered sections which will be scored according to the needs of each man, as ascertained by medical examination, so that instead of the meagre information derived from the cards of former years, we have, under our hands, the most complete system of training, admirable for its simplicity and thoroughness. The merits of such a manual must needs recommend it to every one's attention as a careful study of the wants of the average person who frequents the gymnasium, although it supplies, none the less, the advice sought by those following any particular line of training. The treatise forms first of a series which will include special works on gymnastics and athletics. Succeeding volumes of this series will be watched for with the greatest eagerness by all students at Harvard.