PRINCETON.

PRINCETON, N. J., October 25, 1882. The sickness and recent death of the only daughter of Prof. Packard, together with the dangerous illness of Dr. Atwater, from which he is only just recovering, has made this month an anxious and a sad one for the members of the faculty.

Athletics are booming here as usual. A number of tennis courts have been laid out. The courts are of clay, hard and smooth. They covered the back campus between the grounds to the president's mansion and Edwards Hall. All day long there are a few players exercising themselves, and between twelve and two every court of the twenty or thirty is occupied.

The men who entered at the Stenton games on the fourteenth and twenty-eight, carried off a number of honors. On the twenty-eight Princeton men won six first and six second prizes. Harriman, '83, tied for first in the pole vault at 9 ft. 9 in. McIntosh, formerly of Lafayette, has entered '84 and was the winner of several of the prizes. There are to be no fall games of the college association this year.

Our nine never plays in the fall. The class games showed, however, that there is plenty of good material old and new. The seniors after an exciting contest won the championship.

The foot-ball prospects are as yet undefined. The team is gradually developing itself and its method of play. The eleven will be a light one - lighter than ever before perhaps. Mr. Peace is proving an efficient captain, and there is in college plenty of confidence in our prospects. Another month is needed, however, to crystallize the team. The general feeling among foot-ball men is, that given a very windy day, similar to last Thanksgiving, and the result is - a block game, notwithstanding the changes in the rules. The idea is that more radical measures are needed, and that the artificial character of the amendments will make disputes between umpires more numerous, and so add much power to the referee.

Lacrosse is now well established. The team has defeated Yale twice, and that, too, when crippled by the absence of several of the best players. The college has formally recognized the team, and offers it their support. The twelve have drawn the New York Lacrosse Club in the Oehlrich tournament.

Boating has, for the present, received a mortal wound. The crew last spring was a good one, and made good time, but ill-fortune attended it, and it only succeeded in coming in ahead of Cornell and Bowdoin at Lake George. Princeton, as well as the University of Pennsylvania, has a bone to pick with Columbia for not appearing at Philadelphia last June. But the sentiment here by no means justifies the opinions expressed in the University Magazine concerning the Harvard-Columbia dispute. To us, as lookers-on (perhaps not the best judges), the matter appears in a light very unfavorable to Harvard. As the parties seem totally unable to agree, even as to the facts in the case, the sooner the discussion ceases the better for inter-collegiate feeling.

There is a movement on foot to obtain special rates between Princeton and Boston on the day of the Princeton-Harvard match. Whether they are secured or not, there will certainly be a large attendance of Jerseyites on Holmes field.

U.