LACROSSE.

The Contest at New York for the Oelrich Cup

The game Saturday resulted as usual, in a well deserved victory for our team, although it is but just to say that the Unions were quite out of practice, and that two of their best men were unable to play.

Before the game the throwing for prizes took place. Rueter, '84, made the best long throw, 107 yards, 2 feet, 9 inches; and Marquand, '85, was second, and Easton, '83, third.

In throwing goals at 40 yards, Noyes, '85, excelled, making four goals in six tries. Woods, Bahdwin and Thayer, all '85, succeeded in making three apiece. Considering the wet weather the throwing was very good.

The game was called soon after four o'clock. The Unions presented but nine men but took on Abbott, and played with ten men, our team also played with ten men as follows: Easton, '83, goal; Rueter, '84, point; Marquand, '85, cover-point; Bradford, '86, and Goodale, '85, defence; Williams, '85, centre; Baldwin, '85 and Noyes, '85, attacks; and Hood, '86 and Woods, '85, homes. Mr. Macdonald acted as referee, and Atkinson, '85 and Crocker, '85, as umpires. At the beginning of the first half the Unions kept the ball near Harvard's goal. But were prevented from scoring by good playing on the part of Easton. Finally Bradford secured the ball, and after making a good run threw the first goal in fine form, at some 40 yards distance. Soon after play was resumed, a goal was claimed on Simson's throw. But was decided to be wide by Mr. Atkinson. Soon afterwards the ball was thrown down the field a distance apparently of 120 yards, by Reuter, and Woods made a goal by a clever swipe. Harvard played this game in the best style. The third goal was made by a good play by a Union home man, and shortly afterwards time was called on account of darkness, and Harvard declared the winner by two goals to one.

For our side Easton played very finely at goal, although his throwing was not up to last year's mark. Rueter and Marquand filled their positions satisfactorily. Bradford ran finely, and Baldwin used the body-check effectively. As a whole the team failed to catch and pass as well as we hoped, and the defence fielders did not cover their men closely. On the other hand our team played a harder and sharper game than ever before, and we look to see them do good work for the Oelrichs cup. Tomorrow we shall give a more particular account of the faults and merits of the players, collectively and individually, in the hope that they may greatly improve by next Saturday.